• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Vented Rear Discs

Cameron

Got the calipers today, the pistons are 27mm leading 30mm trailing so you were close! ;) Means I have a bit more choice with master cylinders which is nice, rather than having the front and rear at opposite ends of the available size range! I also reduced the disc diameter to 265mm to help things.

The lug mounts may cause me a bit of a problem as my rear upright design is quite compact, so I may have to be inventive and incorporate the brackets into the track rod arm.. I'll carry this little development on in my project thread. (when I eventually get my arse in gear and update it!)

Edited by Cameron

Rippthrough

I'm gonna have to check mine now, I could have sworn they were 28mm :lol:

Cameron

My caliper never lies, it's Mitutoyo! :lol:

Rippthrough

Yeah, but I wouldn't put it past you to read it wrong :P

Cameron

Go measure yours and we'll see.. :D;)

Rippthrough

Bugger that, they're 10 miles away...

Cameron

Well after looking at the calipers and trying to figure out how to mount them I'm a little disappointed to say that they won't fit the way that I had imagined. One of the mounting lugs would be way out in space compared to my upright and without changing by balljoint locations it would have to have a big flappy bracket to attach it properly - something I'm not keen on doing! So these will go back on the 'bay and I'll go for a set of later R1 calipers instead, as they're radially mounted it should make attaching them a lot tidier.

Batfink

So if I was to customise a standard rear trailing arm from a 205 to take bike calipers would I want this type or the later R1 ones you are needing??

Cameron

I'd say go with the radially mounted ones as it would be easier to make mounting brackets work.

alexcrosse

No need at all, this is all that is on the back of the mini... go for weight more than anything. Also what Colin is running on the back of his nova turbo sprint car (btec racing build) with no problems.

188673_10150129055219330_509954329_6468281_5276346_n.jpg

196703_10150128218914330_509954329_6459013_1956076_n.jpg

only 2.8 kilos ;) and easy to build into a double wishbone setup. Road legal too... unlike your motorcycle calipers ;)

Edited by alexcrosse

Cameron

Pfft.. road legal. :lol: Are you going to run them servo'd too? :P

I had a nosey round a Focus BTCC car and it runs solid rear discs, so that's good enough for me!

alexcrosse

"true dat" but one of its back wheels is usually in the air anyway... or all of them. Get KAD ones and man up, unnecessary expense ftw ^_^

Cameron

My unnecessary expense is all going up the front end I'm afraid! Mmm.. AP Racing. ^_^

alexcrosse

there should be no limit to unnecessary expense, we'll see! *and heres what you could have won!*

Cameron

Please let it be Nitron 3-way adjustables! That way I don't need to sell the Miami to fund them. :lol: