• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Iain-gti

Rear Beam

Iain-gti

Hi,

Quick question, i have removed both torsion bars but cant seem to remove the ARB end plates. Is it possible to hit the trailers arms off the tube with ARB end plates still attached?

Thanks in advance

Iain

welshpug

how have you tried removign the arb end plates?

SurGie

Use one rear caliper bolt into the end plate and it will start to come out as you screw it in.

Iain-gti

I wound a bolt in the end but nothing happened to locked up. Ill give it another go surgie.

SurGie

Sure, a bit of heat from a blow torch should help, depending if it has the rubber seal still on though ? Also a bit of plus gas/wd40 should help too.

welshpug

whiuch side did you try? the left hand end should be left alone and is often much harder to remove as there's more of the spline engaged, the r/h side is the one intended to be removed and used for adjustment of clearance against the seal.

an XU10 or XUD headbolt I've found better to use than a caliper bolt as the thread is longer, plenty of grease will help a lot.

no amount of penetrating oil will help as you'll never get it anywhere near the splines, heat will just make a mess though if all else fails give it a go, just remember that its right next to the filler pipe.

SurGie

I did not realise it was still in the beam, plug gas should get around the splined area, every little bit helps :lol:

Mine was a bugger to get off too so keep at it :)

Iain-gti

Sorry you two been busy, The caliper bolt worked a treat first time =D sanded it all down and prepped!

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Josh_Quant

i just brought a 205 diesel and tryed lowering the rear beam/axle becuase used to driving my 205 mi16 lowerd 40mm and didnt feel right what so ever!

I got both t40 bolts and offset washers out torsions bars afer one rounded of so welded some nuts to it and got it out but then both torsion bars are seized solid big time! tryed using slide hammer and tryed using a 13mm bolt and washers and winding bolt in and it snapped! :blink:

so then tryed to get one of the ARB plates off and they are both solid

anyone got any ideas?? would be much thankful :rolleyes:

i was thinking of taking axle off and try getting them out then if not another axle job

philfingers

i just brought a 205 diesel and tryed lowering the rear beam/axle becuase used to driving my 205 mi16 lowerd 40mm and didnt feel right what so ever!

I got both t40 bolts and offset washers out torsions bars afer one rounded of so welded some nuts to it and got it out but then both torsion bars are seized solid big time! tryed using slide hammer and tryed using a 13mm bolt and washers and winding bolt in and it snapped! :blink:

so then tryed to get one of the ARB plates off and they are both solid

anyone got any ideas?? would be much thankful :rolleyes:

i was thinking of taking axle off and try getting them out then if not another axle job

Josh,

Heat! get some heat on the joints with either a good hot air gun or blow torch.

I'd leave the exle on the car. Place a long steel bar (20mm box I use) and locate it behind the arm from the opposite side of the car and use a lump hammer. this will mean that the arm will probably come out with the bar att, but you can then get at it easier. Rest the arm on blocks etc and knock the TB through.

Phil

Josh_Quant

would that make a difference, i was thinking more like gas heat :D

wouldnt i need to get the arb plate of 1st?

cheers phil

philfingers

would that make a difference, i was thinking more like gas heat :D

wouldnt i need to get the arb plate of 1st?

cheers phil

if you haven't got gas a hot air gun may work. And again so long as you have the ARB bolts out if you perservere, it will start to move eventually