• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

Bilstein Group N Tarmac Dampers - Best Alternative To Coilovers?

fatony1

Im having a bit of a refresh of the running gear on my 205 over the winter, rose jointed lower arms with OE bushes, new trackrods, new trackrod ends, VTS steering rack, new droplinks, new hubs/bearings, new discs/pads, rebuilt 309 beam with GTI6 dampers etc. I currently have GTI6 front struts with some 20/25mm lowering springs (believed to be Koni items) but im looking to replace the struts and so far from what i've read the Bilstein Group N Tarmac items from KAM Racing get the thumbs up all round! Are they the best buy within that sort of price range? (£300 ish) Or would 2nd hand coilovers be a better option? The car is my daily driver and does a 40 mile round trip to work. I've had some seriously low VWs in the past so im not a stranger to a bumpy ride, but this on the KAM Racing site...

This Bilstein Group N 'Challenge spec' dampers are designed for tarmac race use

...does make me wonder hence my asking here! :)

Thanks in advance :)

Baz

Coilovers are only worth bothering with if their new price was about £800+ IMO, not because i'm a snob, but because otherwise they're crap tbh! I'd certainly stay clear of used coilovers for that price-range unless you find a bargain. (PTS Billies/AST's/Leda's etc)

They're great in many ways for getting a dedicated setup, finding a perfect spring/damping rate that matches the rear end, suits the car itself and it's uses, and then you & your driving style... but that's expensive and time consuming plus there's many other ways coilovers can be a royal PITA; adjustable top mounts giving camber/castor changes needing proper Geo-setups ideally on corner weights etc etc.

Given your wants and likely uses i'd go for the billies because i guarantee you'll never want for more unless you change your uses massively towards circuit or off-road use, and tbh they'd still do a fairly good job of that anyway, the damping is well up to scratch for day to day/fast road/occasional track use without being crashy or hard.

fatony1

Sound advice, Billies it is, ooo yellow..... :D

Miles

I tend to offer the billies for ease of use and no maintenance, Like a set of Avo coil overs I removed today, adjuster's locked up as are the spring plastform's which as the billies don;t have any of this they rarely give any problems

matt.f

Plenty of people who rally 205's use these,I've got them and they are very good for road rallying(night events)