• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sam_G

Gti 6 Brake Conversion

Sam_G

Hi just posting this to try and suss out what I need to do to change my front brakes from 1.6 gti to gti 6, I have the disks, calipers, driveshafts, hubs all ready to go just unsure about fitting the master cylinder and also not sure about what needs to be done with the compensator, i would like to fit a bias valve inside the car to. I am sure there probably is a post for this already i cant seem to find one. :wacko:

Thanks Sam

Baz

You'll need 1.9 hubs & shafts. Some people find a bigger MC is needed, some don't!

This has been covered before spo a good search would've uncovered the answers, use google though with '205gtidrivers.com'.

Miles

|Just use base model hub's, No need to change anything then

Sam_G

Just out of interest miles are you from pug racing? I think you built my car :P back to the subject I still can't find all the info I need I have a 205 with the gti6 engine and the xsara vts box. I've been told to get 1.9 hubs/shafts and to remove the rear brake compensator and fit a bias valve I'm keeping drums on the rear because they were rebuilt around 2000 miles ago. Is the info correct I have been told?

tri_longer

I am running GTi6 brakes so if I tell you what i have that will help, though it is not necessarily the definitive answer.

1.9 hubs, 309 drive shafts (this is because i run 309 wishbones) 1.9 shafts work just the same. Gti6 calipers and discs. Drums at the rear with a bias valve mounted in the car, and wound into it's maximum restriction (i found that with the smallest amount off max it caused the back end to lock up and unsettle the back of the car.

I am running the standard master cylinder, i believe the reason people change them is to reduce pedal travel, personally I don't find it an issue either when it has been driven on the road or the track, but that is a perosnal choice and not necessarily for everyone. My friend runs massive 4 pot AP's on the standard m/c and he equally has no issue with the pedal travel.

Sam_G

Ok that's sounds good to me thanks mate I will leave the remaining one in, did u do away with the compensator?

tri_longer

Ok that's sounds good to me thanks mate I will leave the remaining one in, did u do away with the compensator?

Yes, hence the bias valve instead.

Paul_13

I originally used a 1.9 gti compensator then tee'd off to each rear wheel.

This setup would lock up real easy on the rear, so I went for a Willwood instead

Sam_G

Cheers lads, sorry to keep going on but from the mc what pipe work is needed through the car I.e ( 1 pipe from mc through bias valve tee'd to each rear drum?)

welshpug

yup, i.e much like what its already laid out as if its a 1.6

Sam_G

Lovely! Cheers for that people!

Miles

Fine with the std 1.9 comp's, that's what is on my Gentry and the rear is fine along with the std Bendix M/S

Sam_G

ok sweet its all clear to me now, i have a wilwood bias valve and i have realised i need some kind of adaptor '1/8 npt to m10x1mm' where can i get these from does anybody know?

welshpug

rally design do them iirc

Sam_G

on the gti 6 M/C it has 2 outlets does anybody know what outlet does what brakes?

Miles

It does not matter, both cylinders are the same size, But most people will use Front=Front and the same with the rear

BlueBolt

good call!! Useful to find this with the work I'm planning soon for my fronts... Good to know about the compensator and bias too....