• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
firstcar_205gti

Heavy Braking Question

firstcar_205gti

hi all bought a 205 as my first car and i have only ever driven modern cars before like my mums new beetle and my dads van and under heavy braking they both brake in a straight line. my 1989 205 gti under heavy braking tends to veer to left but all of the bushes and bearings are dead maybe thats why? or has it been involved in a accident at some stage. :(

welshpug

almost certainly going to be caused by worn bushes etc

firstcar_205gti

almost certainly going to be caused by worn bushes etc

ye i thought so i just got a bit conserned because in portugal it isnt unusual to see a car crabbing down the road :lol:

Baz

Or un-balanced brake effort for some reason?

Edited by Baz

firstcar_205gti

Or un-balanced brake effort for some reason?

could be only just got it road going really its been sitting in the sun for 10 years but slowly getting through it ^_^ but ive bought all new poly bushes, vented and drilled discs and green stuffpads so ill see how it is after that, thats my next task

Baz

1.6 or 1.9?

The bushes aren't going to help, but what's the betting it's a 1.9 and one of the compensators is seized?!! That'd definitely cause the car to change direction under heavy braking!

Edited by Baz

firstcar_205gti

1.6 or 1.9?

The bushes aren't going to help, but what's the betting it's a 1.9 and one of the compensators is seized?!! That'd definitely cause the car to change direction under heavy braking!

its a 1.6 another thing could be the wheel alignment? theres also play in the steering which my dad thinks its the steering rack

Edited by firstcar_205gti

Paul_13

Is start eliminating parts starting with wishbone bushes ( available from Pug for cheap and include new bolts aswell :)). Or before that check the track rod ends are tight and the rack mounting bolts are tight.

Also worth checking the front subframe bolts, there's 6 of them in total; 2 at the front of the subframe, 4 at the rear. They're 16mm bolts.

Remove the balljoint from the hub, check for tightness. Move the wishbone up and down to check bushes ( I know you said they are dead), check the 4 wishbone bolts (16 & 17mm for front, 18 & 18mm for rear bolts).

I'd get the tracking done after checking all the above and hopefully this solves your problem.

The wishbone bushe kit part number is 3599 07

Edited by Paul_13

firstcar_205gti

Is start eliminating parts starting with wishbone bushes ( available from Pug for cheap and include new bolts aswell :)). Or before that check the track rod ends are tight and the rack mounting bolts are tight.

Also worth checking the front subframe bolts, there's 6 of them in total; 2 at the front of the subframe, 4 at the rear. They're 16mm bolts.

Remove the balljoint from the hub, check for tightness. Move the wishbone up and down to check bushes ( I know you said they are dead), check the 4 wishbone bolts (16 & 17mm for front, 18 & 18mm for rear bolts).

I'd get the tracking done after checking all the above and hopefully this solves your problem.

The wishbone bushe kit part number is 3599 07

:P thanks for list man, i have already bought all wishbone bushes from powerflex and i unfortunatly bought the anti rollbar bushes from them. i tried to fit them tonight and on one side theres the balljoint that u mentioned and the powerflex bushes dont allow for it so one one side i had to put the old one which is rock solid and split <_<

welshpug

the old one is poly so will be rock solid anyway :D

firstcar_205gti

the old one is poly so will be rock solid anyway :D

ohh :blink: dont laugh im new to all this mechanic stuff :lol:

Paul_13

Unfortunately market arb bushes don't normally fit... just buy oe bushes mate, much better than 'SUPER' Flex. Says it all in the name

kyepan

service your brakes first.

turning in my experience is due to uneven braking effort on the rear.

firstcar_205gti

service your brakes first.

turning in my experience is due to uneven braking effort on the rear.

i got all new front brakes on the way, not rear ones yet tho there another day :rolleyes: