• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Best Way To Clean Callipers For Painting?

pugpete1108

its a bit of an odd one i know and should be pretty straight forward but i have cleaned my callipers three times now.

once with hot soapy water, once with turps and a wire brush and then again with hot soapy water. they are now dry and grease free but still covered in brake dust?

obviously i should use proper brake cleaner but what i want to know is does this actually work? or is there any other tips or hnit on how to prep these for paint?.

pete

BusEngineer

I used a wire brush attachment in a drill then brake cleaner, had no problems

Daviewonder

I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder, then gave them a once over with a can of brake cleaner.

pugpete1108

i'll get the drill out tomorrow then and grab a can of brake cleaner and crack on with it.

with regards to paint, would high temp engine laqeur suffice? or is it best to go for a 2 pac brake laqeur?

harryskid

I used exchaust paint, seems to work!

allye

Sand blasting and high temp engine laquer is what i used, worked well!

Obey_R

I also had mine shot-blasted then gave them a good few coats of Smooth Hammerite, seems to be fairing well a year on.

pugpete1108

I also had mine shot-blasted then gave them a good few coats of Smooth Hammerite, seems to be fairing well a year on.

was tempted with the hamerite as i have a big pot of it here, wasnt sure how well it would far with the heat tho?

Obey_R

I've not had any problems at all - 1.9 calipers with standard pads for my daily driver and B road blasting :ph34r:

Tom Fenton

I plugged all the holes and then soaked mine in de-ox-c solution. They ended up looking like new.

davey sprocket

I plugged all the holes and then soaked mine in de-ox-c solution. They ended up looking like new.

I'm sure it's the right thing to do but why plug the holes? The deox-c won't do any harm will it or were you worried about contaminating the new fluid once in use?

pugpete1108

what about the seals? would the de-ox-c not destroy them

Tom Fenton

I can only speak for my experience, I left the rubber gaiters on, they were fine. The De-Ox-C is water based hence doesn't harm the seals, but at the same time I did not want it in the caliper where it could cause corrosion or whatever.

davey sprocket

Ah, OK. No worries there then... my spare callipers are stripped right down awaiting all new seals etc.

I guess by blowing them through with an airline there shouldn't be any left inside to do any harm.

I really must get round to finishing that job... I stripped them down about 18 months ago. :rolleyes:

SurGie

Iv sandblasted mine then used VHT paint, it fully cures once the brakes are used due to the heat.

I got mine from Frost, its their caliper VHT paint. I spray mine in two light coats then one medium thickness for the last coat which makes it shine.

Do the seals just pop out ?

pugpete1108

i have removed the slider dust seals but the cylinders are still in and i have no way of removing them.

i'll just go for the wire brush and hard work

was this what used?

deox-c

Edited by pugpete1108

davey sprocket

Unless the pistons are seized in place, you should get them out easy enough, I used a bicycle track pump to apply pressure to the hose inlet hole.

Just be careful not to fire the piston across your workshop... I wrap mine up in cloths to catch it and absorb the impact/ brake fluid.

SurGie

I tried the hard work way and gave up tbh, mine are 6 calipers mind. They are so hard to brush away the paint in the calipers hard to reach places. I have a scrap yard that lets you hire the sandblaster for an hour at a time. There might be one near you that does that too. IV done every part with the wire brush and grinder, but calipers are far harder.

billybluesky

http://www.volvoforu...vely+Parts+Home

Hammerite is not what it used to be.

It`s not resistant to brake fluid either all the hard work could end up with a crackle finish!

Ryan

I recently did a pair of 206 266mm calipers using electrolysis like in that link. I forgot to take any before/after pictures, but they came up really well after leaving them in overnight and then wire brushing them.

I painted them with some VHT caliper paint which was about £6 from a local motor factors.

B1ack_Mi16

What do you use for the power supply? Is a battery charger ok ?

I've just been leaving my parts in vinegar for a week or two to remove the rust, but maybe this electrolysis method is faster :)

chipstick

Soda blasting B)

Gentle enough on the rubbers.

MiniGibbo

Sand blasting then powder coating is the don but unless you wont to take them off and rebuild them i just use a wire brush and pot of hammerite.