• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Driveshaft Failure

ifcho

Hi,

After two frustrating race days at a local track and two times having an outer CV joint go bang I am in search for a permament solution.

The car is on full slicks, gaz golds, running a mi16 engine with some modifications and 309 wishbones + driveshafts and a plate diff. The track I'm driving at has a lot of left turns and the right driveshaft does a lot of work and fails after 20-30 laps.

Does anyone do upgraded shafts for the 205/309 GTI? I'm ok with running the 205 wishbones if I can find a good 205 driveshaft (I don't see any 309 shafts for sale...)?

Another option Im looking at is a later 306/Xsara HDI/GTI driveshaft - they have a much better CV design (not the crappy tripod). These shafts need to be shortened by 30mm (which should not be a problem...a lot of drag cars use shortened shafts, nova c20xe modify their shafts as well?)?

on a side note: what do you think about running 13" ford cortina wheels with the 247 brakes? The shortage of 15" slicks almost as bad as the shortage of 309 shafts recently, while 13" slicks are all over the place... :-/

welshpug

1.9+309 gti shafts have a full 6 ball CV joint, if you have the tripod then it saounds like you have 1.6 or possibly diesel shafts still

ifcho

Hmm..it is possible that the drifeshaft is a diesel one, now that you say so. They do have the larger spline number (for 1.9 hubs) but they do have a tripod on both ends...so obviously I have had the wrong ones from the beginning, which almost ruined two races :-/

I should have a couple of 205 1.9 shafts in the garage, I'll split the boots and have a look.

Edited by ifcho