• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnny_B_GTI

Apex Suspension Fault

Johnny_B_GTI

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advise on a problem I have with the o/s front suspension. I brought the car with after market apex front shocks + apex springs so they must be a couple of years old by now.

There was a knocking from the o/s suspension which I have identified as the suspension being loose in the mounting causing it to move, as you can image the steering response has suffered massively!

I have tried to tighten the bolt holding this in place but it gets to a certain point and the piston rod starts to turn with the bolt so the suspension remains loose. I have been advised to jack the car up, remove the wheel and grip the piston rod while tightening the bolt until everything is held in place.

Now I've not had time to try this, a job for the week end, before I try this does anyone else have a view on this? Is there anything else I need to check or possible replace?

Thanks in advance guys..... Steve

Paul_13

Don't grip the piston, you'll shred the seal in the shock to pieces. Who gave you that advice!?

There should be either a 6/7mm Allen key hole in the top of strut or a groove to fit a flat head screw driver in. You use these to hold against while you do the big nut up.

There maybe a 10mm flats taken out the top of the strut, they have this on coilovers. Bit vague but i dont know how to explain it fully.

But do not grip the piston

Johnny_B_GTI

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input, you have possibly just save me some cash :). I didn't think this sounded right, hence the post!

I was advised of this at the local halfords, I nipped over on my lunch break as it only round the corner from work. The guy did mention about the allen key hole but on my suspension there is a knob to soften and stiffen the suspension, I showed him and he advised on the fix stated above.

The knob is a small flat mental piece of mental that has a stop at either end (when twisted to softest or hardest setting) so i'll give it go holding this in place with some grips while tightening the bolt and they readjust the setting after.

Thanks for your help mate, i'll update when I have a look at the week end, fingers crossed :)

If anyone else has any idea please let me know.... cheers

Anthony

Don't try holding the shock using the damping adjuster if that's what you're suggesting! :o

Either wrap some rag around the top of the damping rod and use some grips to stop the rod from turning, or wizz the nut up using an airgun / impact gun.

allye

I'm sure a local garage would zap it up with a air gun, would take seconds!

Paul_13

Don't use the adjuster to hold against! You'll bugger it

Post a pic mate

Rippthrough

Hold the shaft with a rubber strap wrench, you'll probably have to wrap it around the shaft 2-3 times to get enough leverage.

As stated above, DO NOT clamp the shaft with mole grips directly, and don't hold it with the adjuster, you'll damage it, if needs must, then at least pack the jaws of the grips with some rubber/rag or cardboard but you're still risking damage if it grips through it.

Tom Fenton

If you do clamp the shaft, slide down any bump stop and do it right at the very top. The damper seal will almost certainly never get up there in case you do mark the rod.

Batfink

electric impact hammer. Best way rather than faffing about trying to grip the shaft through the spring

Johnny_B_GTI

Hi Guys,

Had the car down the garage this morning to have the timing sorted and they got the the impact hammer out...... job done.

Shout out to the guys at Top Boss for the setup, cars running so much better :)

Cheers for your help guys.