• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
voot33

Mi16 Conversion, Back Brakes Not Working

voot33

Hi all

Bought a 205 Mi16 some months ago that i didn't know much about stupidly

Turns out the back brakes have never been working. Handbrake works and was connected but there is barely any pressure getting to the back brakes under normal braking

Front brakes have been upgraded to what i think are 306GTI calipers and feel strong, so have just never noticed the lack of rear brakes. Assuming the master cylinder is the 205 original. Is it common that there is not enough pressure to feed the original 205 rear drums?

Thanks in advance. Car about to fail an MOT because of this and everything else works perfectly

baz205gti

was it a 1.6 before??

ball bearing valve inline to rear brakes ??

voot33

Thanks for the reply

was a 1.9 before. where abouts is the proportioning valve?

Thanks

welshpug

there will be a pair each side of the fuel tank

voot33

i have a family friend doing some MOT prep on it at the moment and just checked and he has already replaced those.

No difference apparently

welshpug

with new items? I'd imagine if replaced then the rear lines have been bled sufficiently, therefore it can only be the brake calipers or friction material especially if the front brakes perform well enough, being a diagonally split system would indicate that the master cylinder is fine too.

voot33

with new items yes. can the original 1.9 master cylinder cope with the bigger 306 gti brakes and original rear drums? i can't see any reason why not. almost like the backs have been blocked off somehow

Anthony

Rear drums? Are you sure it started life as a 1.9?

welshpug

ah, are they base model or gti rear drums?

baz205gti

you mentioned rear drums is this something thats been changed from the original 1.9 discs

double check there isnt a 1.6 proportioning valve on the lower left of the front bulk head between inner wheel arch and exhuast, this is where my valve was on my phase 1 1.6 GTI