• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

Underassisted Power Steering?

cybernck

About 10 years ago, I retrofitted PAS to my old GTI. It didn't work, it was heavier than manual rack

and wouldn't really self center either. I changed the pump - no change. I then swapped the ram for

another one - still no change. Then I replaced the rack itself for another one and it was fine ever since.

Well, until I sold the car anyway.

However, my new/present GTI came with PAS from factory (as far as I know) and whilst not as heavy

as it was on my old GTI, it still doesn't feel right. It's about as heavy as a manual rack. I don't have

a spare rack at the moment, other than the old knackered one, with a supposedly good ram. I think

I have a spare pump somewhere, but I've only managed to find a 405 Mi16 one - will that one fit,

with a bit of creativity?

Of course, I tried changing the PAS fluid but it hasn't done a thing. It was ever slightly better with

new front tires, but still not up to normal function. Is it again a case of a duff rack or should I try with

another pump (and rack ram) first? Any ideas?

ORB

Hmm, what happens when you hold the wheel at maximum lock, ie as far as it will turn?

Does the engine bog down??

cybernck

Good point. I tested it a while ago, as I thought the pump was too silent. At full lock it didn't make the usual

loud buzzing sound, more like barely noticeable hissing. Can't remember if it strained the engine revs, maybe

just a little bit, but I guess I can easily test it again tomorrow.

Do you reckon it could be a case of a lazy pump?

cybernck

OK, I've tried it this evening.

The car was cold and therefore on high idle.

The revs didn't drop much at full lock, perhaps 50 rpm.