• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
spikster

205/309 Trailing Arms

spikster

I am hoping someone on here can help me.

i have a 309 rear axle in my that was rebuilt, it was on the car when I brought it. The car is only used for trackdays and has a 23mm ARB.

I noticed there was some play in the wheels, so i thought the bearings had gone. I removed the rear axle and started by removing the ARB to put in another 309 axle I have that I have put on the car.

When I removed the ARB, the trailing arm come off, but the axle was still in the tube, I pulled on the axle and it come out easily, the bearings and axle look fine.

My questions are:

What diameter should the axle that pushes in the trailing arm be?

What diameter should the trailing arm bore be (I suspect the trailing arms are shot)

What trailing arms can it fit, bearing in mind it is a 309 rear axle in a 205.

I want to rebuild this rear axle and put it back on my car, so I have a spare for the future.

I am also going to fit uprated torsion bars while rebuilding the axle. Anyone know the best place to get these?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

welshpug

thats quite unusual, they normally need a few tons to press the shaft out of the arm.

306 zx and xsara arms will fit.

Paul_13

I've had a few loose ones before, one you could tap the shaft out the arm with a mild bit of force.

As WP says 306 arms fit, zx, 205, 309. Drums/discs fit aswell of all above varieties.

Just make sure the splines in the arms are good. Gti6/Xsara ones are known to corrode badly.

spikster

I thought the 306 ones made the track wider??? :wacko:

If I fit 306 arms, do I need 306 rear discs? Can i use my existing calipers?

Thanks for your replys guys. ;)

Andy

Paul_13

They do slightly yes.

You'll need 306 discs different offset to 205 ones

welshpug

they'll make it sit about 9mm or so per side wider, thats down to the bearing/hub assembly not the arms, and as Paul said if you use them you'll need 306/zx/xsara discs but your calipers (they're nearly identical)

allanallen

they'll make it sit about 9mm or so per side wider, thats down to the bearing/hub assembly not the arms, and as Paul said if you use them you'll need 306/zx/xsara discs but your calipers (they're nearly identical)

There's a little bit of extra width in the arms aswell, around 2.5mm IIRC

dino20vt

Just an idea as I've never seen an ABS equipped trailing arm but what about fitting your 309 stub axle, bearings/hub, discs and caliper mounts to a 306/ZX arm?

welshpug

that will work yes, just make sure you have a matched pair of arms.

ravydavy

I am hoping someone on here can help me.

i have a 309 rear axle in my that was rebuilt, it was on the car when I brought it. The car is only used for trackdays and has a 23mm ARB.

I noticed there was some play in the wheels, so i thought the bearings had gone. I removed the rear axle and started by removing the ARB to put in another 309 axle I have that I have put on the car.

When I removed the ARB, the trailing arm come off, but the axle was still in the tube, I pulled on the axle and it come out easily, the bearings and axle look fine.

My questions are:

What diameter should the axle that pushes in the trailing arm be?

What diameter should the trailing arm bore be (I suspect the trailing arms are shot)

What trailing arms can it fit, bearing in mind it is a 309 rear axle in a 205.

I want to rebuild this rear axle and put it back on my car, so I have a spare for the future.

I am also going to fit uprated torsion bars while rebuilding the axle. Anyone know the best place to get these?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi Spikster.

I sold you the car. This car had done less than 500 road miles and less than five trackdays with no incidents whatsoever. It was a fully rebuilt beam from Jord294. This beam should be good for years.

I can't understand how this has got like this in such a short space of time. Do you still have my number?? The car was dry stored always. I'm sorry but this shouldn't have happened. All in all that beam has done less than 1500 miles.

Regards David, Oh I still have two tyres for you and a spare set of fronts springs?? Hope all is well dude.