• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bob-mcr

Mot Failed

bob-mcr

Hi all,

Failed the MOT yesterday, Free play on the steering rack near side. Where am i likely to find a replacement? And is it going to be sold as a rack assy or will I need to buy track rods separately? also tiss an H reg 1.9 is this the square or splined dive?

Thanks again for any help.

Tom Fenton

This is quite common, it usually is the bush on the N/S of the car worn out (right hand drive cars).

Any decent motor factor should be able to get you a reconditioned rack, they are not expensive. They usually come with track rods attached but no track rod ends.

Your car should be square drive but easy enough to have a look and double check.

pugpete1108

is it s manual rack? if so i have a good one here you can have cheap, would need posting obviously

pete

edit, may not be as mine is a splined drive ph1 item

Edited by pugpete1108

billybluesky

is it s manual rack? if so i have a good one here you can have cheap, would need posting obviously

pete

edit, may not be as mine is a splined drive ph1 item

What about replacing the track rod did it on mine recently after a similar situation, and suprisingly not a too difficult job to do!

welshpug

by the wording I would replace the rack, if it was the track rod I'd imagine they'd have specified it.

but best to check with the tester!

Paul_13

I think spoox sell the replacement bush that collapses. I believe its bronze phosphor not plastic.

bob-mcr

Well mine is the manual rack but with square drive (thanks for the offer anyway Pete) Was most definably the rack at fault, lots of radial play where the track rod meets the gear train boot area. I managed to get a re-con unit from the local motor factors today, all on and sorted now. was a pain to wiggle out until I dropped the side of the subframe. only snag was that the track rod on the pass side had a dodgy thread but a run through with a tap soon eased the prob and got the end on.

Many thanks for all replies, this really is a great site, I should use it allot more,

Bob