• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil205

Instrument Panel And Bulbs

Phil205

I have a 1988 1.6 205 GTI. Some of the bulbs have gone and the Instrument panel has got dim.

I have a Haynes manual which gives the removal procedure for pre and post 1988 models.

Questions :-

How easy is it to actually remove the instrument panel ?

Am I likely to break any brittle clips in doing so ?

Does anyone know what types of bulbs I need to buy, eg Halfords part numbers if possible.

I will change all the bulbs if/when I can get to them.

Also :-

The clock has never worked properly, possibly a bad connection.

Whilst I am doing the instrument panel, will it be easy to get at the clock unit to check the connection ?

Thankyou.

lagonda

Mine is a late 1989 car but I think I've replaced some of the plastics with bits from an '88 car, so would imagine very similar.

No it's not particularly difficult to remove the instrument housing & instrument cluster. Basically follow the Haynes manual instructions, using a bit of intelligence & care, & you should find it relatively straightforward. You'll probably find there's a fairly hidden screw to the right of the housing...this just clamps the housing in place, so only needs loosening. Once ALL the screws are undone, it will come away easily...so if it doesn't....you still have screws to undo...coin tray etc. If it's like mine, there isn't much extra length on the speedo cable, so detach that first, then you'll have more room for disconnecting the wiring.

If you're careful you shouldn't break anything, but it's likely you'll find someone has broken stuff before you....be careful tightening screws when you re-assemble as the plastic isn't that strong.

The bulbs are fairly standard instrument panel type, ie tiny, with folded wire terminals instead of caps. It's actually 50/50 that you'll find the bulbs are OK, it's just the contact areas need cleaning...worth tweaking the contact strips on the bulb housings once you've got them out, to improve their spring pressure. There is (probably!) a dimmer control for the panel lights, mounted under the steering column, somewhere below the side/headlamp switch stalk.

The clock.....that is a whole extra round of pain to get to. Peugeot could so easily have arranged for it to be pushed forwards out of its housing....but no, it comes out the back. If I remember correctly, you have to remove all & every plastic to the right of the passenger's knees. So yes, once you've got the instrument cover off, you're PART of the way there. Once you've got the clock out, you'll find it dismantles fairly easy...but all you can do is clean the contact areas & re-assemble it. That got mine going......but only for about 6 months....so in view of the time & annoyance involved, probably better to get a known working clock to instal first. Incidentally, if you remove the ashtray/lighter assembly, you should be able to reach up behind the clock & wobble its connector plug...that could just be all that's needed. If however your problem is that the clock display vanishes as the engine heats things up, you will need to clean or replace it.

Makes me smile when I think all I need to do to remove the entire dashboard from my Lagonda is to undo one woodscrew, & unhook the other end from a locating nail. My haven't cars come a long way!

Phil205

The clock display does indeed vanish slowly ...

What causes that ?