• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Brake Warning Light

TaffyTim

My brake warning light is starting to flash every now and then and my handbrake is coming up an extra click or trip before it actives do I think I need to pop some bree shoes in.

I've only done this once before and remember it being a bit fiddly, do I need any special tools and does any one have any tips?

Ps I can't see how to search the forum using a mobile so apologies for what must be a common question

Anthony

WRT the brake warning light, check that the brake fluid level is at max - when it's getting low (even if still above minimum) it can cause the light to flash on as the fluid moves around in the reservoir. There isn't a wear sensor or anything on the rear shoes.

TaffyTim

The fluid was the first thing I checked when the light came on but its on the max mark.

Could there be an iffy wire giving a false reading if so where?

I'm pretty sure my front pads should be ok, but I'll have a look at them later.

I was none to concerned thinking it was just the rears, but if there's no warning light for them I am now.

Anthony

I assume that you mean the handbrake/fluid warning light (red, underneath STOP)? If so, that only does handbrake on and fluid low.

Front pad wear is an orange circular warning light.

TaffyTim

I assume that you mean the handbrake/fluid warning light (red, underneath STOP)? If so, that only does handbrake on and fluid low.

Front pad wear is an orange circular warning light.

No I mean the brake pad warning light thats top left of the speed dial.

It only flashes on for a split second normally, every now and again it'll stay illuminated for 5 to 10 seconds.

I looked at the pads today and theres 11mm left on all 4 of them, so its not the pads being low.

I didnt realise the low fluid was done by the handbrake light so it looks like that is ruled out.

Also I dont think that there are any sensors on my pads to indicate their level so why would the light be doing this?

Anthony

The brake wear wires are probably shorting against the chassis somewhere, which will illuminate the light.

TaffyTim

Thats good then, thanks for helping. Its saved new a lot of aggro messing with the shoes and a but of cash too :D

Tom Fenton

It sounds to me like you haven't a clue what the condition of the rear brakes is, a proper yearly service should include removing the rear drums to inspect the shoes and drum, also to check wheel cylinders are not weeping. I would suggest when you have time you pop the drums off for a look around and a clean up.

TaffyTim

Most parts back there are newish (les than 10,000 miles) so it should generally be ok! But I couldn't remember seeing shoes listed on my invoice from miles when I looked at it last.

It has been a couple of years though so maybe I will have a gander at them before its mot on friday.