• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wicked

Fk Coilover Quality/handling

wicked

Is anyone using FK Highsport coilovers? (non-adjustable damping)

I'm looking to affordable coilovers to replace my (broken) Spax adjustable dampers and found FK coilovers, but I'm not sure about them, since I read different reviews about them. (koni inserts?)

Also found AP coilovers in the same price range, that could be also a candidate...

(KW fully adjustable are king, but above my budget)

Some info on my car:

Before the rebuild project it was my daily and liked it as such:

205 Mi16 1.9

Spax adjustables with Eibach springs (-35mm), standard front ARB

309 GTI 8v rear beam with spax dampers, lowered to match the front

1.9 alloys

Now it will be a sunday afternoon fast road car and occasional track toy (no longer my daily drive)

205 with 2.0 8v turbo (200bhp-ish) with plate lsd

seam welded shell with cage

309 gti 8v beam with 24mm arb

309 gti front arb

16" superleggera

I really loved the Eibach springs, but want to lower it a little more (40-50mm).

But I don't want to become a bumpy ride that gets lethal when push it just over the edge.

I don't have track experience yet and don't want to trash it on my first track day...

I've been reading the topics about spring rates vs TB/ARB thickness etc, but cannot find the spring rate for the FK coilovers to jump to conclusions, but I think I'll need something in the 200 lbs spring rate ball park...

Anyone a good advise? (Btw I've still a pare of G&M shocks that I'll fit with Eibachs if I've finished the engine before I've made up my mind.... :blush: )

Batfink

Fk are s*it. When I was selling them I reckon there was about a 12% failure rate in the first year.

AP are owned by KW automotive and seem to be far more reliable.

wicked

And is it true that the AP ones are equal the (old) KW variant 1 non-Inox version? Read it somewhere on the inet, but have some doubts about it...

Batfink

well equal in that they are the same material casing and non adjustable damping (if you are going for the cheapest AP coilover version) but no doubt the internals are not as expensive so the ride will not be quite as good.

cybernck

I've had FK non-adjustable coilovers and I wasn't impressed really.

wicked

I'm getting a bit biased towards AP now....

It doesn't need to be the best available, but good enough, since I won't do any races, just driving for fun....

And then 'good enough' means that i should not break down due to poor quality, be balanced with the current setup of my car and better then the G&M shock with Eibach springs...

Edited by wicked

Batfink

virtually all coilover kits you see for sale are road kits and generally are unsuitable for racing. The cost of the more expensive ones will give better road holding, ride quality and longevity of parts. Currently I'm running around in a car with KW v2 coilovers and the car is great on country roads despite being harder than standard. Bit out of your price range though

Edited by Batfink