• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
locosaki

Painting Cills And Bottoms Of Doors

locosaki

I'm going to tidy up the bottom of the doors and cills later today, I went and bought paint this morning.

Acid 8 - I assume I'm going to use this on all bare metal where rust previously was.

White Stone chip - I'm going to use this on the cills

Now I've not got the proper paint match as I need to go down with the car to get the match right.

I am wondering however,

Should I use the stone chip on the bottom half of the body work up to the underside of the trim or should this be primed and painted only ?

Also, If anyone has any tips fire away.

Tom Fenton

I would only use the stonechip on the sills. Also be warned the aerosol stuff is very thin and watery, and difficult to get a good build. If you have a compressor get the proper stuff with an underbody gun.

I also use Kurust on any rusty or pitted areas before primer.

locosaki

Unfortunately it is aerosol I'll be using on the sills. I'll see how it turns out, If it's not to clever I'll try and get my hands on a gun and compressor.

SurGie

If you do end up getting a compressor, then dont buy any old long standing/storaged stone chip. It can go gloopy, so the fresher it is the better imo.

The best way iv found to sort the rust out, if its reachable that is, i grind brush/drill brush it out then prime. I used kurust on my 205's windscreen pillar 4 years ago. Since iv been sorting my project out, i found after sanding the paint down, it was more rusty before i painted it, and its been garaged 3 years :o . Por 15 sticky direct rust paint iv found to be, 1) very hard paint and 2) still the same a year later after painting surface rust.