• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

What Size Is The Front Damper Piston Nut?

cRaig

Hi there,

About to head to halfrauds (only place open, please forgive me :P) for a combination spanner to get the front damper piston nut off, as my ratchet spanners wont fit in the cup. Can anyone confirm what size it is, so I only have to buy one spanner? :)

Thanks

Craig

Tom Fenton

Depends on the nut to be honest, I have come across them in 21 and 22mm from memory.

cRaig

Mm, thats a shame. I cant quite get any of my sockets or spanners on well enough to tell accurately. Will head out to the garage adn have another look.

Thanks

Anthony

Usually 21mm, but frequently 22mm if it's been replaced at any point.

You'll need a swan neck spanner to fit too, as a normal straight spanner won't fit properly.

If they're OE struts, then the fitting in the top is usually a 7mm hex so worth checking if you have one, as it's not a size that comes with most sets.

cRaig

Spot on :) Was 21mm with a 7mm hex. Managed to get them off with a regular combination spanner (just) but shall track down a swan neck to put them back properly.

Thanks,

Craig

welshpug

spark plug socket with spanner flats and a long reach allen key does the trick, found it a bit hit and miss whether a swan neck sits deep enough to get a decent purchase

Tom Fenton

For dismantling from knackered dampers just get hold of the shaft with molegrips near the top, undo the nut with a normal socket. The seal will never run up in this area so it doesn't really matter if you burr it up.

I don't condone this on fancy struts.

cRaig

spark plug socket with spanner flats and a long reach allen key does the trick, found it a bit hit and miss whether a swan neck sits deep enough to get a decent purchase

Sorry, what do you mean by spark plug socket with spanner flats? One of those box spark plug tools? I didnt know they came that big, will have to have a look around before I start rebuilding.

cRaig

Currently saving up for a compressor, given I live in a suburban semi-d, its not going to go down well :D:P

cRaig

On a similar note.. how does one torque up this nut putting it back together, given the fact you need to hold the piston with an allen key?

Probabally an obvious answer, or is the torque not too important, i just happened to notice it in the haynes manual?

Craig

welshpug

torque wrench on the allen key and turn the nut :)

cRaig

Knew there would be an obvious answer I was missing!

Thankyou kind sir :)

Paul_13

Halfrauds don't do a 21mm swan neck spanner, well all three near me don't. They do every size but 21mm

welshpug

most swan neck spanners wont fit anyway, so a spark plug socket with spanner flats and a long allen bit works.

Paul_13

Swan necks have always worked with me :)

Anthony

They did used to sell them Paul, although the Halfords swan neck spanner design isn't ideal as it's not quite angled enough (although does work)

Alan_M

Halfrauds don't do a 21mm swan neck spanner, well all three near me don't. They do every size but 21mm

They certainly do Paul. I've got one, which was bought from the Winnersh branch. Get them to order one in for you, if not, try Camberley Auto Factors on the Shinfield rd. They have loads of spanners.

Its a 21/22mm ring spanner, and has its uses on other nuts/bolts on the car (one being the crank pulley bolt).

welshpug

Lower rear damper bolts too :)

Paul_13

When I looked a month ago for a 21mm swan neck, Bracknell, Whitley and Winnersh didn't have them. Even the one in Brighton didn't...

:lol:

Let's stop spamming this man's thread, I know what I saw (or didnt) :ph34r:

Edited by Paul_13

cRaig

Wow. a simple problem has turned into a master class of the halfords spanner range :D:P

Tom Fenton

Other spanner sellers are available.....

Gedore do some nice slim deep ring spanners.