• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Fuel Tank Anchor: Sheered Bolt :/

johnhenry

Evening everyone

found today that when removing the fuel tank the anchoring bar that goes across from the rear beam to the chassis of the car (thus acting as a catch for the fuel tank) - both bolts that attach it to the chassis have sheered and have literally no useable thread on them :/

Im using new nylocs to secure the fuel tank in, in its other attachment points but im wondering if i need to keep the anchor bar and weld it onto the chassis or something? or just bin it and UHU the fuel tank to the chassis (poor bodge i know)

Cheers

John

james_pug

Alot of people don't bother with this bar, it's missing on 2 of my cars and they've been fine, Peugeot didn't fit it to 5 doors or to 309's so it can't be that important

Paul_13

Edit: whoops thought you were on about the threads securing the tank to chassis

Edited by Paul_13

Miles

I rarely fit it back as I cannot see the point, Even when crashed and I mean to the extent where the hatch is on the back of the drivers door the fuel tank stays put, or it did on the car I had in so the std mounts I would say are fine.

Paul_13

I rarely fit it back as I cannot see the point, Even when crashed and I mean to the extent where the hatch is on the back of the drivers door the fuel tank stays put, or it did on the car I had in so the std mounts I would say are fine.

Was that the red one that was smashed up round the back of your unit? If so that faired well!

johnhenry

it'll be off tomorrow then! cheers all :D

it was really worrying me that if i couldnt secure the thing really well at the front it could break off, then catapult the rear end into the air or rip it off, Panic over!

Cameron

Get rid! :D

Those studs always seem to shear, so I just leave the f***ing thing off. :lol:

Paul_13

Dont these bolt hold the exhaust hanger? and the heatshield

Cameron

Don't think so.. doesn't it just clamp to the middle of the beam?

welshpug

yes they do, though my zx and the xsara makes do without, though they do have 3 hangers on the rear silencer (as does the 306 which does have the hanger on the centre section)