• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt205

Brake Pedal Box / Gti6 Options And Considerations

Matt205

I have just dropped my GTI6 lump into the 'bay without any changes to the standard pedalbox, really just to see how close everything is (as they seem to vary from car to car). I took the MC off the servo to ensure it would fit, but it really is tight! So, I was going to begin adjusting the pedalbox to create the necessary clearance, but before I do I wondered what people thought about fitting a bias pedal box.

Specifically, I have come across:

http://www.compbrake.co.uk/Parts-by-Car-Manufacturer/Peugeot/205/PUG-205/309-COMPLETE-PEDAL-BOX/prod_3225.html

Will this item resolve all my clearance issues? Are there any complicaions created by the compensator fitted to the car when used inconjunction with a bias pedal? How beneficial is having the bias pedal when using the car in anger on the track?

I should add, the car is not a daily runner - it will be used for track days and weekend blasts on the road. I intend to run GTI6 discs & calipers.

Any thoughts, comments and experiences appreciated!

chipstick

While we are on this subject, does anyone have any pictures how how much they spaced out their existing pedal box to allow enough clearance for the GTi6 lump?

Even with washers I understand the cam cover and cambelt cover may need to be trimmed. Presumably this is to allow movement and for prevention, not to stop it fouling directly on fitment.

Saves me popping what I think is adequate spacing to find out after that everyone puts a minimum amount of spacing to the box with washers.

Matt205

Now that really is thread hijacking :lol:

I'd also be interested the responses to chipstick's queries.

harryskid

While we are on this subject, does anyone have any pictures how how much they spaced out their existing pedal box to allow enough clearance for the GTi6 lump?

Even with washers I understand the cam cover and cambelt cover may need to be trimmed. Presumably this is to allow movement and for prevention, not to stop it fouling directly on fitment.

Saves me popping what I think is adequate spacing to find out after that everyone puts a minimum amount of spacing to the box with washers.

I tried this method and tbh its a load of crap had all sorts of problems and to me it seems a bodge!

harryskid

I have just dropped my GTI6 lump into the 'bay without any changes to the standard pedalbox, really just to see how close everything is (as they seem to vary from car to car). I took the MC off the servo to ensure it would fit, but it really is tight! So, I was going to begin adjusting the pedalbox to create the necessary clearance, but before I do I wondered what people thought about fitting a bias pedal box.

Specifically, I have come across:

http://www.compbrake.co.uk/Parts-by-Car-Manufacturer/Peugeot/205/PUG-205/309-COMPLETE-PEDAL-BOX/prod_3225.html

Will this item resolve all my clearance issues? Are there any complicaions created by the compensator fitted to the car when used inconjunction with a bias pedal? How beneficial is having the bias pedal when using the car in anger on the track?

I should add, the car is not a daily runner - it will be used for track days and weekend blasts on the road. I intend to run GTI6 discs & calipers.

Any thoughts, comments and experiences appreciated!

I have this set up on my rally car and it gives loads more room. The down side with the bias pedel box is just getting use to not having a servo. I have the gti6 brakes with grooved Bembros and comp pads and works well.

chipstick

Where abouts are you based Harry?

Paul_13

A lot of people have had problems with the compbrake bias pedal setup and highly recommend you DON'T use it.

I just used about 4-5 washers on the bottom most bolt hole on the oe setup and decrease the amount of washers towards the top. I didn't use any for the top three bolts coming through the bulk head

harryskid

Where abouts are you based Harry?

Ha we would be about 10 miles from each other i recon :lol:

harryskid

A lot of people have had problems with the compbrake bias pedal setup and highly recommend you DON'T use it.

I just used about 4-5 washers on the bottom most bolt hole on the oe setup and decrease the amount of washers towards the top. I didn't use any for the top three bolts coming through the bulk head

On a road car i can see your point but i don't see it as a problem on a comp car!

On a road car i can see your point but i don't see it as a problem on a comp car!

Paul_13

A comp car's going to have a lot more punishment, think your getting mixed up...

There was a bloke who bought one recently on here and got rid of it straight away. Couldn't get it to work.

Their adjustable brake bias valve is diabolical.

I'd stay away from comprake altogether

Cameron

+1

The benefit of a bias pedal box is being able to adjust the brake bias, funnily enough. :lol:

It does away with the servo so more effort is required, but with the extra effort comes a much better pedal feel and better modulation. You need to be careful to spec the right master cylinder diameters to have your bias in the right ball-park to start with, the balance bar adjustment should only be used for fine tuning - AP recommend that if you have to adjust it more than 5mm from the central position you should be going up/down a m/c size.

Alternatively, take a look at Davenport's project thread (The Rattlebox) as he's made his own bias box that locates the m/c's inside the car rather than in the engine bay.

Paul_13

Clicky

clicky

2 of my mates have had the bias valve, both broke. Removed them and bought AP/Wilwood

harryskid

A comp car's going to have a lot more punishment, think your getting mixed up...

There was a bloke who bought one recently on here and got rid of it straight away. Couldn't get it to work.

Their adjustable brake bias valve is diabolical.

Sorry i did not notice you were talking of a specific make, i thought you meant bias set up in general.