• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Arb Preload

matty_gti

Well I've rebuilt my rear beam and when it came to fitting the ARB I fitted one end plate to it and fitted the bar and plate to the car. On to the other side I lined up the plate using a 13mm bolt and wound the plate onto the end of the bar. Wound it all the way in and came to remove the 13mm bolt that was keeping it in-line/central and then the plate moves about 10mm while the other side is still bolted to the trailing arm and central?.

I tried again and did so with the ARB plate around 10mm above the bolt hole and thought it may come down but then went up 10mm instead!. :blink:

No matter which way I fit it it just does not line up so I can then bolt the ARB plates to the trailing arm!. At the moment the ARB is pushing one trailing arm up and the other down! :lol:

Got a week off work next week and would like to get her on her wheels for the first time in years!.

Any help appreciated folks :)

welshpug

tried pulling the plate off and rotating around a spline?

if that doesnt work, you need to start from scratch, i.e remove both end plates.

if its an o.e bar one end will have a notch which you line up with the 8mm bolt hole on the lever plate, this side goes on the left of the car, draw that end plate on fully and leave the bolt in place, insert the ARB, then fit the r/h end plate and draw this on with a bolt+nut till the clearance is 1mm total.

job jobbed :)

should line up just fine, as long as the torsion bars are set accurately.

jord294

you haven't got the splines lined up properly in the end plates :huh:

the smaller end of the arb has a notch in it. when both end caps are off the arb, get the end cap for the smaller end of arb and have the notch of the arb either at 12 o'clock or 6 0'clock.

then loosely put end cap on with the hole for 13mm bolt either at 12 or 6

once you have that lined up, turn arb over and place other end cap on the splines loosely, making sure both end caps are pointing in same direction

turn back over, and take end cap off notched end, then you can hammer or press the other end cap on

i tend to put the notched end of the arb to the n/s

once you put the arb and end cap through, fit 13mm bolt loosely, and then you can press on the end cap on the notched end

hope that makes sense :)

matty_gti

Cheers guys.

Tried Turning the plates around one notch but still ended up off!.

Will take the lot out and start again ;) I didn't line up the notch with the hole in the plate and wound on the drives side first and then the passengers side.

Will do a mock up and make sure the plates are the same height on level ground and then go about fitting. I think in the main forum it says fit the offside then wind in the nearside plate.

:)

Edited by matty_gti

jord294

i knew someone would beat me too it :lol: