• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omega

Moving The Radio

omega

iam sure that when i was at pugfest i saw a car with the radio where the heater controls are is this a easy modification or was i dreaming?

think i would like to do this to my car as i think its a lot safer.

so any thoughts,confermation or tips welcome.

welshpug

I dont see how it would be safer? It is possible, was done to my car when I bought it but its back in its original position.

There wasnt any wiring modifications required IIRC, just some hacking about of the dash plastics....

GLPoomobile

I think a better alternative would be to mount it where the central vents are.

omega

I dont see how it would be safer? It is possible, was done to my car when I bought it but its back in its original position.

safer as in its at eye level so no reaching down and messing about

There wasnt any wiring modifications required IIRC, just some hacking about of the dash plastics....

hacking of plastics is not good on a 20 year old car

thanks

welshpug

sorry, I misread where you mean, mine was as per GLPoo's sugestion, still required quite a bit of hacking about, I doubt you'd be able to get them where the heater controls are due to the heater box.

ponz

You mean something like this?

http://www.heisseste-kiste-der-lausitz.de/de/peugeot-205-gti_00147.html

I love how this car has a big screen in the dash like today's cars often do, and I like the neat solution of relocating the air con dials to the space where the superfluous clock and ashtray used to be. I have a feeling it's just a screen he's stuck in there, and the air con vents aren't actually working. If it were possible, I'd love to do something like this and stick a proper media/navigation double din head unit up there, and have the relocated air con dials actually working.

Anyone have any pictures of something along these lines being done?

Edited by ponz

GLPoomobile

Any moving of parts is going to involve some degree of chopping and fabricating. Doing something like in those pictures would need a hell of a lot of work. Moving the heater dials shouldn't be too bad - you might need to modify the cable mechanism, or at least the routing - but it basically going to come down to a lot of plastic welding and filler work.

If that's your cup of tea, probably easier to replace the whole dash with a 106 dash, which already has the headunit up top, and then fit a single DIN headunit with flip out screen. You'll soon be living your life a quarter mile at a time :D

welshpug

seen pictures of a 106 dash done, they arent much different in width at all to a 205, heater box+blower might be a faff to get in as the steering column support is different as is the location of the fresh air intake, nothing is impossible though :D worth asking for more detailed pics if you want to go this way.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=65352&st=40

ponz

Yeah, I imagine it would be a helluva job. I may yet attempt this one day on some project.

And I'm curious now as to what kind of different dashes people have crammed into a 205. Found an example of a 206 dash:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259895/1992-peugeot-205

Wondering if a 207 dash would fit? This has a nice little space for a double din head unit:

207-hdi-dash.JPG

Edited by ponz

welshpug

207 is a bit big I would imagine, 107 might do :lol: