• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Suspension Question After A Annyoing Day

205_sunderland

Started the shocks today and had a complete and total nightmare :rolleyes: ,Took 2 hours from start to finish to do one shocker. The original was tighter than any other ive done before and took a mash hammer and alot of time to get out and then came the job of fitting the new one.

My spring clamps were tiny and barely enough so took ages but the top mount seems wrong, The bearing sits cockeyed and wouldnt sit right so it didnt twist smoothly and bearing was exposed one side more than another.

Will it drop/of dropped into place you think as i put it back together before it got dark and a after drive seemed ok....did top the box oil up aswell :blink:

cheers mick

205_sunderland

why cant you edit things sometimes :rolleyes:

jackherer

Editing is only available for a short time after you make a post to correct mistakes etc.

Which new parts have you fitted? Have you reused your top mounts and bearings etc? Are they installed in the right order?

I found a similar issue recently and it was caused by the springs, they weren't the correct spring for a 205 and the 1/3rd of a turn or so extra coil they had was enough to unseat them from the upper spring pan and put an uneven gap in the bearing like you describe. The spring had rubbed on the inside of the turret and worn though the underseal right through to bare metal.

205_sunderland

Editing is only available for a short time after you make a post to correct mistakes etc.

Which new parts have you fitted? Have you reused your top mounts and bearings etc? Are they installed in the right order?

I found a similar issue recently and it was caused by the springs, they weren't the correct spring for a 205 and the 1/3rd of a turn or so extra coil they had was enough to unseat them from the upper spring pan and put an uneven gap in the bearing like you describe. The spring had rubbed on the inside of the turret and worn though the underseal right through to bare metal.

best place to get new springs lol?

205_sunderland

best place to get new springs lol?

I re-used top mounts and fitted baker bushes, ive only done one side so far, the billies need a special size allen key to tighten them aswell so ill have to sort that out.I couldnt tighten it all the way as cylinder just spins on shock. This has been really annoying ive need has issues like it before it was a nightmare trying to get the spring to clamp down enough and the mount set up just hasnt sat right like i said.