• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart1298

Lowering Torsion Bar

stuart1298

Gonna need my torsion bar lowered, and as my garage is quite small I will have to get it done in one day, my car has -50mm gmax lowering springs and gmax front shocks, the car is pretty much stripped inside, so looks like it's nose diving, am I better off lowering it my self or can I buy the rear axle/subframe whatever you call it that gas already been lowered.

I'm Pretty compitant I could do this myself although I have never touched a torsion bar myself, saying this i have fitted the 2.0 turbo engine myslef

Any tips or any one wanna do it for me, depending on price ;) I would be more than willing to help as much as possible as I would like to no how to do it for future projects

Daviewonder

It's easy do it yourself. There's a guide on the 205gtidrivers main website :)

Anthony

Your biggest worry if you're having to get it done in a day is the potential can of worms that you're opening - if the beam hasn't been previously rebuilt, then it's highly probably that you're going to find the bearings, shafts, and seals in poor condition when you attempt to lower it.

The lowering job itself could be anywhere from a doddle to a nightmare, depending how seized in place everything is.

pug_ham
It's easy do it yourself. There's a guide on the 205gtidrivers main website :)

TBh, the guideon the main site isn't the best, a search on here will give the best method to use but as Anthony says, it can be anything from a doddle to a nightmare & a big can of worms when yu start unless you know the beam has been refurbished recently (within three years).

g

stuart1298

Well I've had to re wire the wireing loom in the bulk head, so gives you an idea of the state the cars in, so it will be a nightmare... Oh joy

smithy

Well I've had to re wire the wireing loom in the bulk head, so gives you an idea of the state the cars in, so it will be a nightmare... Oh joy

i would budget for a beam refurb then if i were you,i had what i thought was a good beam to replace my seized one last year but though i would grease it before fitting in car.On taking out the arms i found the bearings were well and truly shot on one side so needed refurb.

pug_ham

As above, if you intend doing any work on the rear beam with regards to changing the ride height then a full refurb is well advised.

You might take it apart to find everything is in excellent condition & just need the basic refurb pack of bearings & seals but with it apart you can also seperate the torsion bars from the tube & radius arm properly to give you the full range of ride height adjustment when you put it back together.

~£50 now or £300 when it really does need doing & spares are in short supply.

g