• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Few Questions About My New Billies

205_sunderland

If just got a set of used but very good nic B6's and brand new b4 rears and have some questions. I think from how they move there oil based and was hoping for gas but thats life

1) i know im completely retarded but whats the bottom nut and adjuster screw for?

2) Is it normal for there to be a slight oil residue around the seal on the shocker, i noticed before i wiped them clean there was a little bit oil residue but nothing major just film around the seal.

cheers mick

Rippthrough

A little film of oil is normal, the piston shaft is ground with a specific pattern to bring a very small amount of oil up to lubricate the seal. Anything more is a cause for concern though.

205_sunderland

A little film of oil is normal, the piston shaft is ground with a specific pattern to bring a very small amount of oil up to lubricate the seal. Anything more is a cause for concern though.

they seem to only have a small film round the seal and a film on the shaft (they travel up and down fine too, ive never had second hand units before and have only seen well and truely screwed shockers in past so was curious

Rippthrough

Well, if it starts bubbling out when you use them on the car, then start worrying :lol:

Anthony

1) i know im completely retarded but whats the bottom nut and adjuster screw for?

It's not an adjuster - that's the locknut that holds the damper insert in place. You don't need to touch it unless you're stripping the damper down.

Miles

And ditch the rear's, the 20 year old std dampers are far better

welshpug

unless they're a recent set as the spec has been altered :)

205_sunderland

Well, if it starts bubbling out when you use them on the car, then start worrying :lol:

:lol: would it not do it whilst pumping up and down off the car?, i think theyll be fine to be fair but its a while since ive delt with oil shocks aswell so im been quite cautious, i was probably the first person to wipe round the seal from new and im over the moon with what condition there in, so if the bolt on the bottom is for stripping the shocks, can you rebuild them at anytime and get new internals etc?

205_sunderland

And ditch the rear's, the 20 year old std dampers are far better

I thought bilsteins black rears were highly regarded?

Anthony

I thought bilsteins black rears were highly regarded?

The fronts are quite good for the money, but the rears historically have been terrible, feeling wallowy and underdamped, bordering on dangerously so at times.

Apparently, they've finally released an updated version that's meant to have addressed that, but I've not seen or driven a car with them fitted to comment.

welshpug

I've driven a few since, 205 and 306 :) the bodies are much larger and a touch shorter, and have the indentation on the side to clear the crossmember bracket due to their larger diameter as per the o.e dampers.

here's the older version -

DSC_1304.jpg

Edited by welshpug

205_sunderland

I've driven a few since, 205 and 306 :) the bodies are much larger and a touch shorter, and have the indentation on the side to clear the crossmember bracket due to their larger diameter as per the o.e dampers.

here's the older version -

DSC_1304.jpg

mine have the indentation like you said and are brand new so are they the non super duper death trap editions then :lol: ?

Rippthrough

Yeah, bigger piston down the middle so the valving/oil doesn't have to work quite so hard.

Miles

Be good to hear some feedback, Mind I doubt there as good as the 306 rear's

205_sunderland

Be good to hear some feedback, Mind I doubt there as good as the 306 rear's

ill give them a good test for you bud :lol:

Chile

Any feedback on the "new" rear bilstein B4's???

welshpug

The more recent ones work fine :)

• Like 1