• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Is My Rear Beam Seized?

McDude

My 205 doesn't get much use these days (I have tried to sell it a few times, but for the money it would get I don't think it is worth it)

As a result, when I get in it it, it feels extra special. I have noticed that when I go over bumps, especially speed bumps, the back end really jars - leading me to believe that the beam has seized. It doesn't creak and seems to still handle well, but the feeling going over bumps makes me think that something's not right.

It could just be that I'm out of tune with what a 205 should feel like, but I'm fairly sure my car isn't behaving. It has a Skip Brown PHII rear beam, so thicker Torsion bars, ARB and Bilstien dampers; so it is a bit stiffer than standard. But blimey - this is like the rear wheels are welded directly to the rear frame.

welshpug

give it a bounce on the rear, should see if it moves or not.

Anthony

Could well be dying/dead - I can't remember how many miles yours had done, but certainly Feb's old Ph2 SBC beam was in poor condition when I stripped it last year.

A jack is your friend for seeing whether it's properly siezed, although just pushing on each side of the boot and seeing if one moves easier than the other will give you a big clue.

It shouldn't be particularly stiff or jarring to drive though - even when it was in poor condition, Feb's old beam was smooth and pleasant, even on rutted and broken tarmac. Obviously everything is relative though - it's certainly not going to ride like a wafty luxobarge does - but isn't dramatically worse than a standard GTi for example/

Tom Fenton

The easiest way to check is to jack up the rear while watching one wheel at a time. The wheel should smoothly drop as you jack up the car, until the damper reaches its full extent, at which time the wheel is lifted clear. If the first or secnd pump of the jack has daylight under the tyre then you have issues.

McDude

The easiest way to check is to jack up the rear while watching one wheel at a time. The wheel should smoothly drop as you jack up the car, until the damper reaches its full extent, at which time the wheel is lifted clear. If the first or secnd pump of the jack has daylight under the tyre then you have issues.

Which jacking point would you use here Tom? It sounds like you are saying to jack just the rear so you can watch both rear wheels rise up simultaneously.

Tom Fenton

I would jack it bang under the centre of the beam tube, so you lift the rear end squarely. You'll need a decent trolley jack. In effect do it twice, watching a different side each time. Will only take you 5 min.