• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Master Cyl + Servo

ORB

Hi Folks

A wee bit of guidance if you dont mind.

I took the GTi out of the garage today to take to work it for its first MOT in my ownership, over 12m later than it should be but it has been SORNed for ages.

I am not happy with the servo performance and when I got it to work, i looked under the bonnet there is a fair bit of leakage from the Master Cylinder.

I expext the car to fail on brakes, and this does not bother me, but...

My car has ABS and this means it has a different Master Cylinder than most GTi's (two outlets)

What car can I rob the required parts from in my scrappers? ? ?

Thanks

ORB

mikeyd

for the cost of them i wouldnt mess about with a second hand m/c- fit new cos it may cost more in panel repairs and insurance ncd if it fails!!+ you can get the right one for the car

ORB

its not like they are cheap though!!

Daxed

No, not cheap but very good advice. Buy new gets my vote too.

Miles

Skimp on safety for a few quid, Would you really do this and en-danger your and other lives ?

ORB

i dont see the difference with people buying used calipers?? GTi-6 / 406 Brembos??

am i missing something??

welshpug

the mc is the only link between you and the braking system, with calipers its rare for all 4 to fail at once....

last 205 mc i got was £36 for a bendix item from gsf

Daviewonder

With a second hand one it could pack up 10 minutes after fitting then you would have to go to the trouble of sourcing another, fitting, bleeding etc, not to mention the safety aspects. I would just spend £30 odd quid on a new one mate and know it's gonna work ok.

petert

New master cylinders are so cheap these days it's not even worth the effort of putting a seal kit through an old one.

Anthony

I can't speak for 205 ABS MC's but certainly 205 non-ABS MC's are cheap as chips - £30 odd gets a reputable branded one.

Certainly it's cheap enough that I'll replace the MC with a new one as a precaution on any 205 that I buy for myself - given that all the original MCs are now 20+ years old, and the fact that they typically fail with no warning and leave you no brakes at all, it's not worth messing around IMO.

You could use a non-ABS MC on your ABS car, just need to blank off the two unused ports (many MCs come with blanking plugs for this very purpose, or they're pennies to buy seperately).

welshpug

most rhd 306's abs or not will have a 2 port MC.