• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Fitting Rear Dampers. Help Possibly Needed

johnhenry

morning all

the car will be coming back from the body shop as of late next week, im sorting out the suspension when it gets back. First is the rear dampers,

im going to need to fit new ones, the car is lowered, on the torsion bar by a previous owner, never got round to putting it back :(

the front setup is going to be lowered by 25mm (7001-120 springs going in) along with b6 dampers. so this will suit the lowered rear end right. the dampers will be K6 (called TE now).

I just want to clarify, in order to fit the new dampers, im going to have to raise, fit dampers and then lower the car in order to get the desired effect right?

the chap who helps me has never done a lowering or raising on the bar job so im reaching out to you guys to help out! Im based in the Vale of Glamorgan, near a place called Llantwit Major, very close to Llandow as im sure some of you know well!

If anyone in the area has done the job before and could see their way to helping me, for a small price or some cans i would be hugely grateful.

Cheers

John

Batfink

dampers do not control rear ride height. Your rear torsion bars do.

johnhenry

I think im getting confused.

surely the distance between the trailing arm mounting point for the damper and the damper attachment to the car will be different now the car is lowered? so they wont fit in without it being raised?

or, which im sure is more likely, im just being odd and missing somthing major.

Cheers

John

stu8v

Just fit them and stop worrying.

They dont have anything to do with ride height.

Matt Holley

I think I know what you are saying, you think the damper won't line up with the bolts on the beam as the distance is shorter, this is true but you just jack the car up, compress the damper and quickly get it on, it's very trickey to do with gas dampers but is possible.