• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Large Housings In Brake Lines

johnhenry

Morning all

going to try and sort out brake lines and fuel lines whilst the cars away and have noticed these housings in the brake lines that are 3/4 of the way back along the car.

What do they do?

If i was installing full length braided hoses would they still be necessary?

Cheers

John

Tom Fenton

Rear brake compensators, yes you still need them, unless you like to spin around 180 deg and crash every time you brake hard anyhow.

johnhenry

they'll be staying then.

any pointers on brake line diameter and lengths for full length of the car? plus any fittings, havent really got a reference point atm which is lame

Cameron

Sounds fun! :D

If it's necessary to instal full braided lines then you would also be installing a bias valve, right? In that case they aren't needed.

johnhenry

this is where i start to worry, how would i wire one of these into the system? as there are 4 outputs off the master cylinder, i would need to feed them all back into this system right?

in all honesty, im just trying to replace the copper piping throughout the system as they are pretty much all bent and look awful/not loved. i could fit braided hoses around these items instead of copper pipes couldnt i? so off the master cylinder, then off to each respective wheel, with each compensator included?

its already been a long morning! cheers

John

Tom Fenton

Going to full braided hose is a very costly option and is a bit of a waste of money if your only reason for doing it is to make the badly formed copper lines look better.

With care and a proper bending tool the copper lines can be made to look as good as standard, certainly when I do them they are straight and true with accurate bends, not the wavy mess you often see across the bulkhead of a 205.

Assuming it is a road car I would fit stainless flexis in place of the standard flexible hoses, and re pipe the rest neatly in solid pipe.