• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harryskid

Cutting In Compound

harryskid

Can any one recommend a good compound for getting faded paint back to its former glory. I would prefer to use it by hand.

ORB

Use Farecla G3 or 3M fast cut plus

Then move on to T-Cut

Then Polish with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish

Much quicker if you can lay your hands on an Orbital Polisher

Edited by ORB

Cameron

I used some 1200 wet&dry then G3 to remove a fairly nasty little scrape from the side of my car, worked really nicely! :)

harryskid

Use Farecla G3 or 3M fast cut plus

Then move on to T-Cut

Then Polish with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish

Much quicker if you can lay your hands on an Orbital Polisher

Cheers mate will give it a try, its on a large panel van and i already have that polish. :D

Tom Fenton

Doing a large panel van BY HAND!!

You will end up with arms like Popeye, it really is hard work even with a rotary polisher let alone by hand!

If I were you I would find a local valeters and let them loose on it. They don't usually charge a lot and will do the business on it for you.

harryskid

Doing a large panel van BY HAND!!

You will end up with arms like Popeye, it really is hard work even with a rotary polisher let alone by hand!

If I were you I would find a local valeters and let them loose on it. They don't usually charge a lot and will do the business on it for you.

I work on it when i have a spare hour or two, local blokes wanted £200 plus and as its red and gone pink they give you Well i can't really promise we can get it back type of thing. Doing it by hand is hard but there is not so much risk of over doing it and going righ back to metal. I 've got the bonnet and the front wings back to a fairly good standard and was just looking for a better compound.

harryskid

Did one side this evening using t cut. Looks strange as one side red and the other pink. Using it for work still so i don't know what my customers will think. :lol:

Bloody hard work, my arms are killing but still its my own fault for letting it get so bad. When this is done i'll keep it polished.

dee205

Fair play to ya. If I didn't already have a buffer I'd pay someone before I went at a van with a hand polish especially when it's taking pink back to red!

harryskid

Still at it, resorting to 1200 wet & dry in places. Bloody van seems to be getting bigger! :lol:

harryskid

Did a bit on the roof this afternoon, hard going but i'll get it all done eventualy :)

2sb02mo.jpg

5kplqp.jpg

shalmaneser

I used some 1200 wet&dry then G3 to remove a fairly nasty little scrape from the side of my car, worked really nicely! :)

Any chance of some pics of this? some c**t has keys my car and I want to get it looking good again!

harryskid

Any chance of some pics of this? some c**t has keys my car and I want to get it looking good again!

If its gone right through the top coat it won't work!

ORB

Yup, if the base coat is scratched, you won't get it out.

There are some nice tricks that'll help get rid of the worst of a key scratch though.

harryskid

At last its finished and my fingers have aches like i have never had. Its not like new but its come up to a fairly good finish. Never again i'll keep it polished from now on!

welshpug

its not so much polished you want to keep it, but waxed :)

keep polishing and you'll rub all the paint off :lol:

harryskid

its not so much polished you want to keep it, but waxed :)

keep polishing and you'll rub all the paint off :lol:

Yes thats what i meant ! Bloody English langauge! :lol: