• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Strut Brace Design

burr_2000

I am looking for some advice on strut brace designs. i had a OMP adjustable brace on my rallye but since i have fitted Colins/sandy jenvey manifold it fouls the brace. i have tried the french rallye brace but this was a epic fail as it sits lower. i am after a design like this that bends towards front of car.

post-12377-0-02485000-1313143336_thumb.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Problem with the ones that has the bends is that they are far softer than the straight ones when it comes to the bracing task they were made for in the first place.

Rippthrough

Problem with the ones that has the bends is that they are far softer than the straight ones when it comes to the bracing task they were made for in the first place.

That end plate design's not exactly doing it any favours either!

omega

quick hijack

and whats the best way of fixing to the strut?

some have 3 holes some have 2 some fix \at the front and some at the back

harryskid

Three hole fixings are best i beleive. As for the first strut brace it looks like a load of crap. The home made one would do the job better!

burr_2000

i cant have a straight across brace best i could have is maybe as follows which is off centre.

post-12377-0-97701100-1313188340_thumb.jpg

harryskid

Still looks weak and flimsey, it would be ok if you want it just for looks but as a working strut brace it would not be up to much.

GeorgeXS

Look at some of the ones colin satchell has done, think sartys evo 2 car had one, they were a proper job!

SurGie

Made my own

SDC13821.jpg

Thats the type you should be looking for tbh, although it all looks a bit too high up imo, mine from Colin is similar but better looking and i had to modify the bonnet for it to shut properly. Not sure if the bonnet will fit with that one tbh.

Colin afaik did not make Sartys one, his friend did, colins is smaller and better suited to the 205 looks.

th_Struttoppswelding005.jpg

HTH

burr_2000

i still cant have it straight across. what about something like this? its a jamex one.

post-12377-0-97366500-1313248886_thumb.jpg

harryskid

Is that brace made out of high tensile steel ?, in which case that would make up for the flimesy apperance.

jackherer

Those Jamex braces are alloy and they move if you lean on them.

Rippthrough

Is that brace made out of high tensile steel ?, in which case that would make up for the flimesy apperance.

No it wouldn't ;)

Stiffness is key for a strut brace, strength is never really a concern...

rallysteve

To be honest, unless you can fit a straight one in which follows a line that bisects the centre of both the front struts, then its a waste of money fitting one at all tbh

Steve

Cameron

No it wouldn't ;)

Stiffness is key for a strut brace, strength is never really a concern...

Bingo! All steels have the same Young's Modulus. :ph34r:

harryskid

Bingo! All steels have the same Young's Modulus. :ph34r:

Yes but it all in the design though!

sport1901966

Has anyone got any quantitative experience of the effects of fitting a strut brace. I'd imagine there are a number of other areas in the suspension setup more susceptible to geometrical variation under load than the strut tops?

Edited by sport1901966

Tom Fenton

Even the so called flimsy Sparco/OMP steel type that pick up on the 3 top mount plate bolts do make a noticeable difference to an otherwise standard car. As tried and tested by me on my 1600 GTI a few years ago when it was still a standard car.

Batfink

Even the so called flimsy Sparco/OMP steel type that pick up on the 3 top mount plate bolts do make a noticeable difference to an otherwise standard car. As tried and tested by me on my 1600 GTI a few years ago when it was still a standard car.

when you look at what many brands sell, the OMP and Sparco look solid in comparison :D

harryskid

I have found no problems with the omp i have fitted on my rally car and it does make a difference!

omega

if you cant fit a top one,fit a lower one!

burr_2000

i can sense my welders gonna be used. nah i need a strut brace,, not keen on lower bars