• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackflash

Low Speed Bumper Smash --Advice Please :(

jackflash

hey guys,

I had a low speed front end crash the other day. I've cracked my bumper so its going to have to be replaced. I've managed to find a second hand one thats in good condition but faded. My question is should it be resprayed black or just treated with a bumper restorer? Also Ive had a good look around the front of the car and cant see any additional damage-does anyone know if theres any hidden areas that could have been damaged in this kind of smash?

thanks

SurGie

It depends where its been hit. The bumper bars behind the bumper on the front in front of the rad cowling may have been bent.

You can use THIS stuff, it comes in grey as well. It will make grey bumpers black.

jackflash

ok,

On further inspection i found both my headlights are completely broken--all but 1 clip on both lights broken!! Also the front main bumper arms are both bent!

Ive managed to source 2 headlights and a bumper for a grand total of £60 which i thought was abit of a bargain(all genuine parts).

Could anybody advice how I go about removing the remains of the side support from my replacement bumper, Ive included a picture--As you can see the side support bolt was broken when my local breakers yard removed it from the donar car.Im sort of aware thats its easy to damage the bumper as I think theres some kind of T bolt (maybe on the left hand side?) Any help would be greatly appriciated

And thanks for the pointer for the trim restorer--thats getting ordered today!!

Edited by jackflash

jackflash

well i finally found a picture of the bracket and realised i could just force the rubber bit out on the right hand side.

Afew good hammer and chisel strikes soon sorted it out-- not sure if I can get replacement spares from peugeot though, basically the bracket has cleaned up fine but the rest is ruined. Does anyone know if the rubber bit, metal insert and bolt is still available or has it been deleted?

cheers guys

CaptainK

I had to replace my bumper a few years back - I found that £35 for a new one from GSF (I think, or Euro Car Parts) was a bargain as being new it wasn't faded and I didn't need to faff around painting / polishing it up etc :D

sceptre

Those bumper fixings are a pain in the *** but yes I believe they can still be bought new from peugeot, they are hard to remove without breaking so there aren't many second hand ones about. Yes they are t-bolts, slightly recessed into the bumper and capped with black rubber, they will probably spin in the recess and damage the bumper.

If you have not already removed the ones from the existing bumper, try to get them off first as damaging the bumper will not be an issue, then you can cut the ones from the new bumper and keep it neat. Be patient, it IS possible to remove them without damaging them. When it comes to fitting the new bumper, make sure you drown it in grease when you're done, just in case you ever have to change it again!

Don't worry about getting a new bumper, the faded ones come up fine with a quick once over with plasticare, take a look at the pictures on the thread linked above! It's amazing stuff.

Whilst you've got it all apart, it's definitely worth checking the cross beam supporting the underside of the radiator, any bends to the front end tend to show up there. Also if the lights have been pushed in, take some time to check the slam plate and light surrounds look right else you'll probably find a big gap between the bumper and the lights.

If you need any help, let me know

jackflash

thanks for the advice,

Im going to try fit the new bumper on monday-and hopefully the bits from my wrecked one wil be ok once its removed-as far as i can see the there are no bent bits apart from the broken lights and the main bumper struts which did have a slight banana bend in them! luckily the replacement bumper has nice straight struts.

I will let you know how it goes, not happy that my gleaming pug is looking alittle tatty atm

regards

jackflash

With the bumper off it seems there is no damage to the slam plate or headlight surrounds--i guess i got off lucky!

All rebulit now and looking good--thanks for the advice guys

jackflash

All back together now and plasticare applied-that stuff really works great!