• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Quality Of Std Parts (Motorfactor Replacements)

johnhenry

Afternoon all

letting paint dry, so moving on with another area (sorry im abusing the forum so much with posts)

after a previous thread regarding options for suspension for my project; the 'keep it standard with minor tweaks' approach seemed to be better for what I wanted. I have now set about finding parts but run into an issue.

Im always cautious about buying parts from a motorfactor/similar as the quality of some brands can be a real issue. Im looking for new standard shock absorbers and springs for the front. Where should i buy them? What are they? What brand are they?

for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-COIL-SPRING-PEUGEOT-205-1-9-GTI-83-98-/390220235896?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adaf04478#ht_2615wt_988

It says original equipment quality...but is that going to provide the same suspension response as the original part or just going to be a copy/poor?

Im also looking for rear shocks (306 K6's) and have been quoted a price through pug main stealers, do they still sell 'original' std front suspension for a 205 gti?

sorry for being longwinded but thought i would clarify myself to save time.

Cheers

JOhn

welshpug

i do believe peugeot still do some front dampers but they are quite expensive, as for standard aftermarket units bilstein is the favoured brand, most general parts wont be up to the spec of gti parts.

the standard 1.9 rear dampers were the k6 items, now superseeded by 5206TE

johnhenry

so if i was buying bilstein's, how do I go about buying ones that work best at standard ride height? im sorry i have no idea how it (which ones to buy) works, as surely if you buy a set and fit springs that lower the car, the shock isnt going to be as long?

PS: sorry if that doesnt make any sense, i know what im trying to say, but once again my jargon is letting me down :/

205_sunderland

so if i was buying bilstein's, how do I go about buying ones that work best at standard ride height? im sorry i have no idea how it (which ones to buy) works, as surely if you buy a set and fit springs that lower the car, the shock isnt going to be as long?

PS: sorry if that doesnt make any sense, i know what im trying to say, but once again my jargon is letting me down :/

bilsteins are standard spec only i found alot better shocker, just go to the likes of gsf and get a set, people sell them on ebay too, the black billies are standard spec so handle standard springs and height just fine, all you want is the best shockers for the car in standard form so thats the one imho.

Tom Fenton

Front dampers are available from the main dealer but are horrendously expensive. What I fit where folk want OE spec front dampers is Bilstein B4's at around £220 a pair inc delivery.

Rear dampers the 5206TE are the one to have, not that expensive either from the dealer.

johnhenry

OE bilstein b4's it is then! i will be chatting to helping hand tomorrow, if he seems okay with it i shall proceed. Are you selling them Mr Fenton? If so i shall be in contact if all goes well tomorrow!

Regarding Springs: im really after standard ride height.

Eibach 7001-120's lower it dont they? I got lost in the Eibach website and ended up reading a 'team ethos memo' :S But would/do eibach supply a standard ride height spring?

or will a standard spring from gsf or the like suffice?

Also slight odd one:

The friend helping me is from the old school, and has mentioned polybushes used to 'squeek' alot. Do they still do this? or have times moved on?

Cheers

John

Miles

Yes the 7001-120's lower the car around 25mm, the other's which I cannot recall the part number raise it up but it's well known so never get supplied, The B4 Billies fronts are £125.00 a pair all in

Anthony

7004's are what you're thinking of Miles, which were incorrectly listed against Phase 2 205 GTi's for a while.

JoshGti

I know Peugeot's Oe setups are raved about on here but what of companies like boge? Im not suggesting anything but ive had stuff from them before through motorfactors and they seem to be decent items but ive just never ran them for a long period of time before selling on a car!

Do peugeot still make all their own stuff, is that why their OE setups are so expensive as the quality is better?

johnhenry

7004's are what you're thinking of Miles, which were incorrectly listed against Phase 2 205 GTi's for a while.

so are 7004's for std road height? or are they incorrect parts? EDIT - just searched and they seem to raise it?!

ECP list sach's springs that are O/E. not experienced anything from sachs.

im just abit baffled by all this, and theres about a trillion things going on atm.

PS: Miles have you got my engine?! ill check today for sure

Edited by johnhenry

Anthony

7004's are the wrong springs and thus tend to sit a little higher than standard. 7001's are the correct spring for GTi models as Miles said.

Miles

John

Yes the engine in the pallet turned up on Thursday I think it was now