• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
2ltrrabbit

Brake Problem

2ltrrabbit

Hi all,

Recently been having trouble with the brakes on my 205 rally car.

In short its a 1.9 1991 gti without the large brake compensator.

All brake lines were removed and new ones fitted in diferent locations.

i have the two front outlets on master cylinder going to the front wheels and the two rear outlets going into one to then the rear brakes via a handbrake.

mintex m1144 all round with standard calipers and discs.

The problem;

i done an event which went well the second event on test it felt like there was no bite on the front and to much on the rears resulting in a difficult day.

so i changed the master cylinder but still it feels Crap???

could it be i have the wrong cylinder?

when i stripped the car i cant rmember seeing any compensators but i may have missed them!

any one have a diagram on what the brakes should be on a 205 this year?

cheers

Anthony

If it was a non-ABS 1.9 GTi, there should have been a pair of inline compensators just in front of the fuel tank - one per brake line.

If it originally started life as a 1.6 GTi, there would be a compensator on the nearside chassis leg and a single front-rear brake line.

Standard 1.9 GTi brakes are Girling front calipers with 247mm vented disks, and Bendix rear calipers with unvented disks.

brumster

I rallied a servo'd setup once but it had a proportioning valve in the single rear circuit prior to the handbrake.

Tarmac or gravel?

1144s liable to wear pretty heavily on the front on tarmac, I suspect (depends greatly on how you drive it, of course). Could it just be that the fronts are knackered? Have you checked the pads?

I would remove any compensators (if you've got any; sounds like you're saying they're not there) and run an adjustable pressure regulator/limiter thing in the rear circuit to "tweak" the balance to how you like it.

You can also safely blank one of the rear outputs in the master cylinder; no need to join them into a single line - just run the rear line out of one of them.

2ltrrabbit

ok guys,

Ive built the car with forest in mind but been doing a few tarmac events recently. so a servo set up is quite good for me as i can unplug it for forest events.

theres no compensators in the rear line, so like brumster mentioned ill get a bias valve. any good ones recomended?

ill go and buy a fresh set off pads ths weekend and see what happens on the road.

were any of the 205 gti brake circuits run as a diagonal system???

cheers

brumster

Mine was this Tilton one :-

2928738-1t.jpg

Did the job :)

pug_ham
were any of the 205 gti brake circuits run as a diagonal system???

cheers

Standard 1.9 GTI non abs set up is diagonally split front left / rear right from one pair of ports & front right / rear left from the other.

g