• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wah

Steering Rack

wah

Hi all

Wiould a J plate 1.6GTI steering rack fit a G plate 1.6GTI or are there differences if so what and what extra parts would I need to fit it to the older car ??

Regards

Si

Tom Fenton

The only difference in the manual racks over the years is that earlier cars had a splined joint to the rack, later cars have a square joint.

Both of your cars (91/92J and 89/90G) should be square.

However keep the lower column from the donor vehicle and then you can make it fit either way.

wah

Cheers Tom is that an idiots guide to checking which one is fitted to mine by looking down from the engine bay ?? any pictures would be a vast help !!

Si

dave_gti

I had the same problem when I was looking for one for my old diesel, after searching I don’t think there is a definite match with spline type to year I’m sure it’s just random.

This might help –

Spline

Square

wah

Nice one Dave the piccys show there are some lower differences that can be spotted from the engine bay with ease !!!

Cherrs mate

Si

dave_gti

No problem, glad to of helped. You can also feel the flat/spline just above your clutch pedal easily enough.

welshpug

No problem, glad to of helped. You can also feel the flat/spline just above your clutch pedal easily enough.

that part of them is always splined, its the end on the pinion in the engine bay that you need to look at.