• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrP

206 Gti Brakes

MrP

I have some 206 gti brakes which I am about to fit to my 205 I managed to get them pretty much brand new as they came off a new 206 that rolled/fell off the transporter a few years back.

Will the 206 hubs fit instead of the 205's hubs?

I thought as they are pretty much new and already bolted together (hubs yokes calipers pads) it would be ashame not to fit them if it doesnt cause any problems.

Ryan

If your 205 is a 1.9 then they'll bolt straight on.

If it's 1.6 then you'll need either base model hubs, or 1.9 hubs+driveshafts.

dave_gti

206 GTI will fit onto 1.9 hubs, as do 306 GTI-6 . If you’re considering upgrading IIRC -

206 GTI 180 have 54 mm piston & 266mm Discs

306 GTI-6 have 57mm piston 283mm Discs

I have 306 GTI-6 and I have to use a 15” wheel because of the size of the calipers/discs

Edited by dave_gti

rallysteve

206 Gti 180 / RC brakes have 283mm rotors :D

Steve

dave_gti

Ah you're correct, my apologies, it should be -

206 GTI 138 - 266mm Discs

206 GTI 180 - 283mm Discs

306 GTI-6 - 283mm Discs

MrP

My puggy is a 205 gti 1.9, I read about the different calipers and sizes people saying the 283mm are too heavy and that standard brakes are fine so I thought I would go in the middle, the ones I am fitting are the 206 138bhp 266mm discs hubs and calipers, I just wasn't sure if the 206 hubs would fit.

Ryan just to clarify for others what do you mean when you say for the 1.6 you need either

Base model hubs - 1.1?

or

1.9 hubs+driveshafts - ? wouldnt you just need 1.9 driveshafts if your using the 206 hubs

MrP

So I am trying to fit the hubs but have noticed that :-

1. The 206 hub is slightly longer from suspension strut fitting to wishbone fitting

2. The hole in the bottom of the hub for the wishbone is bigger, can you get reducer rings to fit in there to make the hole smaller

or is it a case that you cant or shouldn't use the 206 hubs?

brakes.jpg

wishboneholes.jpg

MiniGibbo

I have 266's on my Rallye and it looks to have the standard base model hubs.

welshpug

the disc offset varies on the 206, you should remove the disc and measure to the drive flange.

martin and allan at bridgecraft engineering repair damaged balljoint holes with a sleeve, this sleeve may be the right thickness to allow you to use 206 hubs on a 205,

I think the 206 hub would be an 18mm pin same as the later 306's partners etc, the hub casting on those looks identical to the 206.

MrP

the disc offset varies on the 206, you should remove the disc and measure to the drive flange.

So if I am to do that, what would this tell me?

I've read a couple of threads saying they have used 306 hubs which effects the camber?

welshpug

it would tell you if the strut clamp to wheel drive flange is any different, due to the varying disc offsets measuring to the disc is a little silly.

the angle of the strut clamp of a 306 is different to a 205, causing the positive camber.

MrP

I know I was just trying to show the difference in length, thought this was the easiest way to show in a pic .

like I said I was measuring the distance between suspension strut clamp and wishbone ball joint hole.

tomcolinjones

i dont think its safe making up a shim to fit the larger bottom ball joint hub.... stick with the 1.9 hub and use the new caliper on it.

welshpug

i dont think its safe making up a shim to fit the larger bottom ball joint hub

why?

tomcolinjones

I would be concerned about getting a good fix between the ball joint and the hub.

MrP

.... stick with the 1.9 hub and use the new caliper on it.

That is exactly what I have ended up doing Tom, I did test fit the 206 hubs and the camber seems to be pretty much the same (not they I have done any accurate measuring) and the tie rod ends needs to be wound out to get the wheels pointing in the right direction.

I was only going to use them as there alot newer and lighter.