• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d7ve_b

Uneven Ride Height

d7ve_b

Hi All,

I've recently fitted some new front Blilstein B4 shocks, Eibach springs, BBM fast road top mounts and GSF bearings. Following fitment I seem to have uneven front ride height as pictured below:

Offside on the left (lower + maybe more positive camber?), nearside on the right:

IMAG0210.jpgIMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0207.jpgIMAG0208.jpg

Any ideas what could cause this before I begin stripping away at the struts? I've checked how each shock is seated in the hub carrier and they are both up to the stopper on the shock...? Is there a specific way around springs should be fitted? I think they're the same way around but I'll have to check.

Fox

Are the springs seated correctly on the spring pan?

Is the car parked on level ground?

Is the rear beam sat level?

Anthony

Are you sure that the wings/arches themselves are identical side to side, as they're often slightly different making the suspension look odd.

Measure the ride height from the sill jacking points in all four corners to assess if it actually is sat wonky.

Also, have you done sufficient mileage for the suspension to properly settle?

d7ve_b

Thanks for the replies gents.

Are the springs seated correctly on the spring pan?

Is the car parked on level ground?

Is the rear beam sat level?

1. I believe so but I'm going to jack it up and check. There've been no unusual noises since fitting...?

2. I've parked it in 3 different spots and it always looks the same :(

3. It's just had a reconditioned beam fitted by Tom and again I've had it parked in three different spots with the same result.

Are you sure that the wings/arches themselves are identical side to side, as they're often slightly different making the suspension look odd.

Measure the ride height from the sill jacking points in all four corners to assess if it actually is sat wonky.

Also, have you done sufficient mileage for the suspension to properly settle?

It has had a new N/S wing in the past so I'll try measuring in the points you mention.

I've only done about 100 miles since fitting the front assembly.

d7ve_b

I checked the mounting points and the rears are the same at about 6cms, the O/S front is about 6cms and the N/S front is about 7cms. The O/S front is noticeably stiffer than the N/S.

Tom Fenton

Dave, I would do a few more miles to let it all settle down before getting too excited about it.

d7ve_b

Dave, I would do a few more miles to let it all settle down before getting too excited about it.

Do you think that'll sort it?

I've just had the wheels off and had a nosey and it seems i've fitted one spring one way up and the other spring the other way up (if you know what I mean) :wacko: . Do you think this is the cause of the problem? I never thought it mattered which way around you fitted springs?

I also measured the distance between the top mount and the spring pan part on the shock and the side that is higher is about 5-6mm longer when taking the weight of the car. I expect this confirms that the height difference is down to the spring rather than the way the shock is fitted to the car.

d7ve_b

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of whipping the n/s shock off tomorrow and turning the spring around....

Fox

I'd swap it!

d7ve_b

Well I switched the n/s spring around a few weeks ago and have done a couple of hundred more miles since but it still looks uneven :(

Any more thoughts?

welshpug

try disconnecting the arb, also check that the spring pans are the same distance from the hub carrier clamps