• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Are 306Gti6 Front Dampers A Straight Swap?

johnnyboy666

as title, are 306gti6 dampers a straight swap (apart from changing the top mounts and rubbers over) I'm in particular thinking about the bit where the drop links attach?

Cameron

They're oriented slightly differently, but as far as I'm aware it's just a case of twisting the drop-link round, no biggie.

johnnyboy666

sorry to be a bit simple, but what do you mean by twist it round? (I've always owned base models so this drop link thing is new to me!)

pug_ham

Leave the drop link lower end loose in the arb, fit it to the shock & tighten that end first before tightening up the lower end.

Graham.

Cameron

The drop link's on a ball joint at the bottom isn't it Graham, doesn't it just spin round without having to undo the bottom nut?

Wes

got them on mine, the tab that the drop link bolts to is at a slightly different angle, i bolted mine through from the other side. you will see what i mean when you fit them and there is no clip for the brake hoses but a zip tie does the job.

j_turnell

I ran them on mine for a while, as mentioned the droplink pick up is in a different orientation so just need to turn the droplink round. The only issue you may have is if your running oe droplinks, as they are thicker and can foul the upright, pattern parts fit no problems.

pug_ham
The drop link's on a ball joint at the bottom isn't it Graham, doesn't it just spin round without having to undo the bottom nut?

Yeah but by simply twisting it you add tiwst to the boot which can age it orematurely imo.

For the minutes extra it takes I'd just undo the nut a few turns so its loose & all turns.

g.

Paul_13

They twist easily on mine and when you turn the wheel they twist anyway.

Yep they're a straight swap, I ran xsara shocks on mine which are practically the same as gti6 shocks.

Just note which way the top mounts go back on, there's a big washer that goes on the strut top before the other metal bits.

205_sunderland

what do people think of using hot tuning coilovers for 306 then? on 205

pug_ham

who?

Cheap suspension is false economy imo so I personally wouldn't bother, coilovers aren't best suited to the uk climate either.

g

205_sunderland

who?

Cheap suspension is false economy imo so I personally wouldn't bother, coilovers aren't best suited to the uk climate either.

g

i was always under the impression hot tuning gear was cheap as they mass produce so much they could afford to sell them at a decent price, and my cars not used for winters itll be replaced by a nice off roader haha

GLPoomobile

i was always under the impression hot tuning gear was cheap as they mass produce so much they could afford to sell them at a decent price, and my cars not used for winters itll be replaced by a nice off roader haha

So by that logic, do you think that the likes of Koni, Bilstein, Eibach, Avo etc are all small volume manufacturers?

Yes, they will be cheap because they are produced in volume. But cheap materials, cheap tooling, and lack of R&D will also play a part. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

GeorgeXS

Agree with the above, i easily hazard a guess OE is much much better!

Them particular ones look really cheap and nasty

Paul_13

Those types of coilovers are directly aimed at the 'vw scene' kind of people, who want to lower their car a silly amount for peanuts.

I have to put up with a moron at work who's got a polo and having it an inch off the floor is the best thing in the world

Cameron

My housemate bought a set of cheapo eBay coilovers for his Golf, he's just broken his 3rd set. Kinda sums it up pretty nicely. ^_^

205_sunderland

standard it is,wheres the cheapest place to get gti6 shocks from and what makes best to use as im not going to dealers?, i had 205 billes before do people use front and rear gas 306 billes too?

I had no problems at all with my hot tuing coilover before on my corrado 20v, handled excellent,ride was a little ruff but they never missed a beat which is why they came to mind.

205_sunderland

So by that logic, do you think that the likes of Koni, Bilstein, Eibach, Avo etc are all small volume manufacturers?

Yes, they will be cheap because they are produced in volume. But cheap materials, cheap tooling, and lack of R&D will also play a part. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

And yes they do produce less i think, they make smaller job lots than the likes of hot tuing and people just copy designs anyway from tried and tested so thought why not try them, if there no good ill not use them but they did me just fine before on my rado and took some very demanding situations well, obviously there not suited to the 205 very well and ill get the standard jobbies instead as ive used them in the past also and they did work excellent

Edited by 205_sunderland