• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JimLad

Spongy Brakes

JimLad

My brakes are absolutely doing my head in :angry: Bled loads of fluid through and I mean litres with an Easibleed and the brakes still feel spongy. They're ok with the engine turned off but with the servo working there's too much soft movement of the pedal which is very disconcerting. Oddly it makes a bit of a hissing sound too like air being compressed.

Replaced the master cylinder with the correct size, all of the flexis with braided hoses and a couple of the copper pipes and there is no fluid leaks anywhere. Bled in the following sequence: pass rr, driver's rr, pass frt and driver's frt. Can't get any more air out and the pedal feels quite firm and acceptable without the engine running.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've read loads of threads and the only thing similar was cured when the guy used an Easibleed which I've been using all along.

Absolutely desperate to get it sorted cos I'm booked to do a track day at Donnington on Monday.

Cheers

Jim

ORB

Sounds daft, but have you tried non easy bleed? I mean get wife/GF/buddy etc to push pedal on command?

I never think that this method can be beaten!

Or, compensator/s are fooked.

JimLad

Thanks for the reply.

Have tried the gf method and a one way valve as well! Am tempted top try can of petrol and match next! Put so much fluid through without getting any air out I honestly can't see it being air but what else can it be?!

As for the compensator, I thought if they are bolloxed you just couldn't get any fluid out and mine's ok in that regard.

Miles

Was it a OE master cylinder or a pattern part?

Cameron

Isn't this just part of having servo'd brakes? :wacko:

The pedal will never be rock solid as it's on a servo, they're meant to feel slightly soft.

JimLad

Clearly with the servo assistance it's going to be softer but the issue is it's much too soft for the first inch or two of movement before it feels firm. And crucially it didn't used to be like that.

It's from Eurocarparts so yes, it is a pattern part. I used it to replace a less than two year old Bendix one (OE?) which felt the same and I thought might be the cause of the problem.

Paul_13

Sorry for the hijack but i've got a similar problem with my 1.8 diesel (1.9 front brakes, drum rear). The pedal will go soft for an extra 2-3inches than the normal travel then harden up. But I am losing fluid but can't find the leak anywhere. Only happens now and again.

MC on the way out?

smithy

What is condition of rear shoes and cylinders and the front calipers/pads?

smithy

Also have you tried to clamp individual wheels off one at a time to see if that changes things?

Paul_13

Front's are ok, rear's are the ones i'm having doubts about.

I think the NS rear is leaking but cant see any fluid loss. The handbrakes never worked on that side, probably brake fluid has contaminated the pads to fook.

gwpug

Could the hissing sound not point towards the servo? Maybe an air leak or just a damaged servo, if you said the brakes are solid with the engine stopped?

allye

I had this problem with my rallye, (1.9 fronts 1.6 beam single line to the rear) I spent the best part of a day trying to bleed it and it turned out to be the compensator was fooked. I had a spongy pendal then I took it out and now it's perfect nice firm pedal. I'm running with out one at the moment. Hope that helps!

smithy

Front's are ok, rear's are the ones i'm having doubts about.

I think the NS rear is leaking but cant see any fluid loss. The handbrakes never worked on that side, probably brake fluid has contaminated the pads to fook.

i would get the drums off and change shoes and cylinders firstly and also as it is losing fluid with no obvious leaks pull master off servo it may be leaking from seal on the rear going in to servo?

Paul_13

I noticed a puddle next to the OS rear earlier, its dripping out of drum pretty steady. Cylinder must be f***ed. Looks like I'll be swapping the beam over earlier than expected, its got good brakes on and has been rebuilt

Tom Fenton

Sounds a lot of work, a wheel cylinder is buttons and easy to change compared to a beam swap.

Paul_13

^ I know that, but the beams shagged anyway and I have a replacement. Kind of what I was getting at in the last post, should of made it clearer.

Edited by Paul_13