• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Torsion Bar Painting >

SurGie

The torsion bars are about to be painted and wonder if they can be painted by any type of paint ? I thought because of the twisting action it might need a special type of paint to stop it cracking under the twisting stress ?

Cameron

They don't twist that much! :P

RossD

I just used a red oxide primer and then an enamel type paint - Seems fine even after 3 years.

Ryan

I gave mine two coats of red hammerite and they still look like new after 2 years.

philfingers

acid etch primer and a good enamel based top coat

dale205mills

I used 2k paint on mine and the finish is spot on from a gun.

Edited by dale205mills

ORB

Hammerite and a brush.

SurGie

acid etch primer and a good enamel based top coat

Out of all the suggestions, i'm going to go with these paints.

I could get them powder coated at a cost and tbh i just dont trust powder coating. There's nothing better than having a few layers of paint, so if there was a chip it wont go bad as quick as powder coating seems to.

Cheers.

205_sunderland

hammerite for me,oil based so ideal for the job and applies a nice thick coat,plus its also cheap to do and its only a beam so it mega anal painting it with normal paint just to make it look nicer. I did my beam black and red and used house roof sealing spray paint for the beam and red for torsion bars. It was like tar (and contains a underseal type substance) and covered the beam excellent and looked laquered it was so shiney. Red hammerite brought the bars up a treat too :ph34r:

Ryan

Heatshrink tubing also looks good if you can find some big/long enough.