• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Roof Painting

ORB

Well, my GTi's roof really let's it down, a dent, some scratches and a LOAD of fading and laquer peel.

So, I thought this morning I would have a bash at sorting it.

Started by attacking it with some 240 grit to cut away all of the crap

4aaf8f87.jpg

Then a spot of filler skimmed across the damaged bits to level it up.

20569f36.jpg

You can't see tge filler but it's the three patches near the sunroof. (cut back again with 240)

Blow off with air line then a wipe with some pannel wipe and on with the first coat.

1fa10c47.jpg

Another coat, I then cut back with 2000 grit, panel wipe and dry

ef281d7e.jpg

Some more paint:

e8081a4e.jpg

Now, inside for a coffee and leave it for the day to harden.

Then I'll cut it back and take the next steps!!

As you can tell, I am bored hence photographing such a simple project.

On a side note, I snapped the thread on one of the sun roof trim retaining screws at the back near the boot. Any tips for a repair?

pugpete1108

i need to do this on mine but i also have peel on the front above the windscreen.

how does the trim come off?

ORB

Quite easy really.

Remove the interior light housing. Take out the two screws that are on the left and right of the handle. Slide the front trim forward to wards the screen and the sides slide back to the boot lid.

Daviewonder

Did you use rattle cans?

ORB

Yeah, but only because I have some P3XY left over from another project.

Normally bust out the compressor but not this time.

Fox

Nice. Nothing wrong with rattle cans if you know what your doing!

ORB

Yeah, rattle cans are easy enough to use, I always find that you get a good finish if you use a little more paint per coat than with a gun.

ORB

Final coat and a ton of clear.

5c643037.jpg

Just needs to harden off for a day or two and cut it back to perfection.

Total cost - 13 quid.

Daviewonder

I wish I had the balls to attempt doing the roof on mine. Can't imagine for a second it would turn as good as yours though.

ORB

Dave, in every amount of seriousness it is VERY easy. It's all about being methodical. A lot of the guides on the web are crap, painting with a rattle can is very easy as long as you prep properly. Most people ruin it by trying to paint perfection, it all cones together right at the end when you t-cut it back and get the final result. Laquer is clever stuff too, it hides so much!

feb

Great work there, no point respraying the whole car when it has turned as good as it has!

Daviewonder

Dave, in every amount of seriousness it is VERY easy. It's all about being methodical. A lot of the guides on the web are crap, painting with a rattle can is very easy as long as you prep properly. Most people ruin it by trying to paint perfection, it all cones together right at the end when you t-cut it back and get the final result. Laquer is clever stuff too, it hides so much!

How does it look where it blends into the other paint? any tips?

ORB

Looks good! 800 grit, 1200 grit then 2000, followed by cutting compound and then super resin polish!

Truth is, it only blends for about 20mm behind the sunroof trim so not much work at all.

smithy

I wish I had the balls to attempt doing the roof on mine. Can't imagine for a second it would turn as good as yours though.

the trick with painting is all in the prep work making sure everything is surgically clean.

when applying the paint the trick i find is not trying to apply too much paint in one go lots of light coats are the key to avoid getting runs etc.

best thing to do is practice on an old panel from a scrapper with some cheap rattle cans until you get the confidence to have a crack on the car.

Jonny Shu

Looks great from the pictures, have you got any more that show how it blends with the rest of the body? My roof is going to need doing and I've been quoted £150 a panel by a friend who owns a body shop so it would be great if I was able to do a good job myself. Does anyone know if you are able to get rattle cans of decent anthracite grey that would blend nicely with the standard colour?

ORB

I don't have any further pics. This should give you an idea as to the general theme of the car:

831e98a3.jpg

Jonny Shu

Not that I can see much of the roof in that picture but the car looks very nice indeed! If I decide to give the repainting a go myself I will be sure to send you a message.

BlueBolt

That really does look great!!!

I've got a car i'm breaking at the moment, may need to grab the brinder at some point, take out a few pannels before I send the shell to be crushed so I can get some practise in... One of them jobs I always fear and end up paying someone else loads of money to do for me.......