• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Darkening Grey Trim

chipstick

My car is a 1989, so a phase 1.5?

It has a personalised Reg, so presumably it would be on a G plate otherwise. I have seen many F and G reg cars on here with black trim. Either most people change the grey for later black stuff, F and G is on the cross over and peugeot use whatever they are nearest to when building it, or the trim does come up well with decent products.

I am looking at getting a heat gun on my trim, but if I am going to be pissing in the wind then I will keep an eye out for a set of black to come up for sale. I must be able to get more colour out of it.

With the car being white, It needs to be darker to contrast nicely.

welshpug

have a search for "plasticare" :)

personally I preffer to leave the trim as intended for its age, regardless of the reg it shows, though I agree the faded gry does look a bit naff on a white car, grey still fits in with the era they were produced in.

Baz

Plasticare FTW!

See my group buy thread, i have a few grey ones left from the last batch. :)

wilyoldave

+1 plasticare - been using it today and it bought mine up a treat!B)

One bottle goes a long way as well - just wear gloves - if you get it on you white spirit does the trick!

P1040656.jpg

P1040657.jpg

P1040663.jpg

Sorry for the picture whoring!:lol:

backroadpug

BABY LOTION people better than plasticare and a hell of a lot cheaper :D

2011-06-04132458.jpg

wilyoldave

How long between applications with the baby lotion mate?

Sounds like a good idea rubbing baby lotion over my 18 year old french model....;)

Baz

backroadpug, sorry to be pedantic but that's hardly relevant to the question IMO.

As an Auto Glym certified ex-Valeter i've tried allsorts over the years.

Perhaps obviously, a 'dressing', particularly any oil based item will only 'dress' the plastics, so yes it will put a shine to what you've got, but if the trim is faded and dull, the oil will make it look shiny and seemingly bring back some colour through giving it a translucent layer like varnish, but it won't actually restore any colour and it certainly won't last, washing the car & rain will wash it off as it does most other 'proper' trim dressing products and subsequently leave your trim and surrounding paintwork streaky with oily residue. Even if applied when the trims have been properly cleaned and free from grease/grime.

Plasticare isn't a dressing, it's a dye. It's supposed to be a 'use once' item really, so you need to clean the trims properly, degreasing them ready for the Plasticare. I tend to go round the trims once, then again to address any blotchiness and/or stubborn/particularly faded areas. Once a decent application has been made, you can top it up with your usual dressing and it'll last better than before and of course the colour will be there!

It's not worth comparing to other products on the market because it's not the same, the Plasticare will restore the colour not just 'dress' your trims, give it a go, it takes a bit of time & prep, but i'm sure you won't be disappointed as i haven't been, & i was initially a sceptic, but having seen it in action then trying it first hand, it really does work!

wilyoldave

Just a quick before and after (any excuse!)

Before

resize_004.jpg

After

P1040667.jpg

While I think about it have you any more black Baz?

RickyD

That's one stunning Miami you have there. I think I will order some Plasticare tomorrow off ebay as I don't think Baz has any left in black

Cheers

RickyD

Baz

I may have just the one black left, i'll check.

If a few are interested i can order another batch, they won't be long. :)

mhyphenl

Count me in!

RickyD

That's a shame Baz as I've just order some from ebay earlier today.

Cheers

RickyD