• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Building Bottom Arms With Rose Joints - If We All Chip In Money Saved

205_sunderland

spoke with them on the phone today and they sell all sizes of joint and weld in inserts so ive told him there could be quite a large demand for these and what im going to do is try and get a set built up so you can buy straight off the shelf take your arm to a coded welder and job done...

I now need help from you guys and together we can save some pennies and stop the motorsport companys pulling each-other off and charging ridiculous prices for minimal work.

1) i need the length of insert people have used and of course o/d.

2)The style of joint used (which i imagine is just a standard joint external thread and thread pitch and type to match to insert etc, ill also need the internal diameter of the joint where it locates to hub.

3) and finally the bolt that locates the joint to the hub must be of a certain type surely as i imagine if the joint is bolted directly to the hub it would not allow any movement range...correct me if im wrong?

If i get this sorted then ill get him to set-up an ebay auction with everything you need ? (minus bolts if there special jobs) and jobs a gud en, were sorted :D

cheers mick your friendly neighborhood tarmac terrorist

stuart

Sounds like a good plan, been meaning to have some made up myself but need the above info / parts too.

I'd definitely be interested in a set, if not 2 dependant on cost etc.

welshpug

I dont see how this would save much really, as its the jig setup and welding that makes up the largest part of the price.

Cameron

I might be able to help you out with this if you need jigs and welding, I'm not certified as I haven't bothered to but I'm definitely a good enough welder. A jig for this would also be dead easy to set up, and it only needs to be done once.

oli-pug

Sounds like a plan ^^^ I can vouch for Cam's welding :)

EdCherry

You wouldn't catch me trusting my life on many of Mcgills rose joints either, pretty shocking quality from the couple ive seen.

swordfish210

You wouldn't catch me trusting my life on many of Mcgills rose joints either, pretty shocking quality from the couple ive seen.

This. When you compare them to a proper NMB rod end it's chalk and cheese...or cheescake and poo

Cameron

Never seen or used an NMB, Fluro seem to be pretty well rated and Aurora are the best if you have deep pockets.

Cameron

Sounds like a plan ^^^ I can vouch for Cam's welding :)

Thanks for the plug. :D

wracing

cameron a word of caution have you ever had any of your welds tested. Be sure to insure your self with such a component or a formal disclaimer at the least.

James

Cameron

Fair point, I think it'd be a good idea to get certified before trying to sell people things. Even if I had a disclaimer on there you never know what some people are willing to try!

shalmaneser

Fair point, I think it'd be a good idea to get certified before trying to sell people things. Even if I had a disclaimer on there you never know what some people are willing to try!

Definitely get certified, 99% of time disclaimers really are not worth the paper they're written on. Get a cert and at least you've got a professional body behind you should the s*it really hit the fan.

swordfish210

Never seen or used an NMB, Fluro seem to be pretty well rated and Aurora are the best if you have deep pockets.

Fluro are Ok. F1 teams use NMB bearings, nuff said

SurGie

I have a set of West midlands motorsport ones, i can send some pictures if you want ?

stu8v

Ill build mine to take the largest commonly available joint, that way you not restricted to expensive sizes.

Its on my to do list, got the car to build first lol.

205_sunderland

As regards putting them together id say do them yourself if your conscience, all im trying to do is get parts off the shelf so you can buy all you need in one go and only pay for labour to get them done, can anyone provide proof of mcgills been pants? if so ill more than happily source another make instead i chose them as they seemed well based.

Dont get too carried away as youll kill a great oppertunity and the end of the day if i can get an all in one job lot of everything you need its ten times easier and help everyone, If you dont like the idea dont get invloved simple as that.

So can people provide me with the sizes i need then and ill look for other joints elsewhere too, ps surgie pics would be great and cameron its up to you if you wanna weld them for people bud, id say do you own have them tested in a quality area somewhere and go from there you know fine well if you do a decent weld etc it should do the job but doing it for someone else is a different story end of the day .

I just want the parts there in a set for everyone to use at there own choice,

what makes you recommend i look into then?

SurGie

Here they are >

th_GStickAreaBeamDiffFitRosewish015.jpg th_GStickAreaBeamDiffFitRosewish014.jpg th_GStickAreaBeamDiffFitRosewish012.jpg th_GStickAreaBeamDiffFitRosewish011.jpg

th_GStickAreaBeamDiffFitRosewish010.jpg

B)

wracing

Surgie, they are horrific.

James

Edited by wracing

brumster

Is that angle anywhere near 'right'?! It just strikes me as a lot more than I'd expect, but it's just a perception....

SurGie

They look like they have better/stronger welds that THESE and they have the same angle etc. Mine dont have the hole that this one has, not sure if that would make them stronger or not.

brumster

Fair enough; probably just the photo!

Cameron

Surgie, they are horrific.

James

THANK GOD someone else spotted this! :lol:

SurGie, important to note that a big fat glob of weld doesn't necessarily mean stronger, it means they don't know how to weld efficiently and are using too much wire and heat. Get the settings right and there's no reason why a nice neat weld (like the one in your 2nd link actually ;) ) can't be stronger.

What's more, there's lots of stop-starts on that which mean cold points of less penetration and areas where a crack can begin to form. A welder worth his salt could quite happily do that seam in 2 runs.

Anyone know why the balljoints are cocked at an angle like that anyway? Is it necessary to gain clearance somewhere, or to reduce the static angle on the spherical bearing?

wracing

I'm not even sure if MIG welding is even the correct process for welding the bush to the end of the wishbone.

James

Paul_13

Would MMA welding be better?

Edited by Paul_13