• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205lee

Suspension Help!

205lee

Hi folks, well last night i spun my 205 gti and nearly killed it and me, the back end slide out quite easily, just wondering if this is normal on 205's or if you guys think i have suspension problems? as far as i'm aware its standard suspension all round. it has 185/55 tyres all with good tread. cheers

Edited by 205lee

welshpug

how old are the tyres? pressures correct? were you braking?....

how old are the dampers, any history of a beam rebuild?

as you can imagine, there's many many variables, let alone simple road conditions!

pug_ham

Lift off oversteer is a thing the 205 GTI is well known for but modern tyres etc have help tame this tendency to some extent.

What were the conditions when it happened?

g

Miles

If the tires are a cheap brand (Ditch finders) this is quite common

205lee

I only recently bought the car and don't know the history of the suspension, it does have different makes of tyres all round and the road was really slick ( just stopped raining), i wasn't braking mid corner, i've made that mistake before ha ha, cheers for the relpies though, still debating on a spending money on the car or not though

205_sunderland

i always ran tyre wise 195 50 15's on mine and found they were far better, my new gti is also like this and isnt a patch on my old gti handling wise, beam could also be to blame like people are saying aswell as shocks etc.

Ive been unsure if it down to mine not been as low as my first gti as i dropped it one spline and wondered if it was down to ride height or all the contributing factors were talking about now

Cameron

Lee - be VERY careful when it's just rained after being dry for a while, especially in a 205! When it's dry you get oil and muck building up on the road surface then when it rains it turns into an ice rink. It's not so bad on modern cars with safe predictable suspension designs but with a 205 it can be pretty scary! :lol:

I'd only start to worry about it if you get poor handling in the dry.

205lee

Cheers for the help guys, saw someone else come off at the same bit i did, they weren't so lucky, the car rolled over and is now a write off.

so think the road was more the problem than the car, but cheers again

feb

I only recently bought the car and don't know the history of the suspension, it does have different makes of tyres all round and the road was really slick ( just stopped raining), i wasn't braking mid corner, i've made that mistake before ha ha, cheers for the relpies though, still debating on a spending money on the car or not though

I would fit some good and matching tyres asap. They are so cheap anyway and if you value your life it makes sense.