• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
james_ix

Pas Steering Rack

james_ix

Hi Guys

Just a quick question. I am playing around with the power steering on the 205 road rally car and had some new hoses made up. However when i connected everything together and ran the system it blew the oil seal at the top of the rack. I had not used this rack before and didn't know the state of it before i fitted, but i have two thoughts;

1) either the seal was shot and needed changing (will do as a matter of course)

2) I have made a cock up on the hoses and fitting them the wrong way around. These are new hoses modified from the peugeot units.

So i have two questions

i) Can someone confirm which is the high pressure inlet port and which is the outlet. (I do have them labelled outlet "top" inlet "bottom" as when fitted in the vehicle)

ii) is the oil seal the normal failure or something further is usual to go? To be honest from what i can the rest of the internals look ok.

Thanks in advance

smithy

on mine the high pressure inlet from pump is the lower port,the upper port is the low pressure return that goes via cooler loop if still fitted or direct back to resavoir if you dont have cooler.

james_ix

Thanks

That is the same as mine then.

New oil seal will be fitted tomorrow as the existing one is very worn. Sounds like that should fix it

Stevo309

I believe the metal collar in the middle of the rubber section of the oem high pressure pipe is a pressure reducer, if your made up hose doesn't have this it could be a contributing factor as well.