• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
randomspeedfreak

Rear Suspension Problem Help Need Expert Advice Please!

randomspeedfreak

Hi Guys

My 205 steers from the rear at high speeds, under braking and when induced with a small amount of input into the steering wheel at 60 mph plus (I know the rear of the car is light so can be a handful but there is something seriously wrong here) I replaced the wishbones/ball joints/bushes tie rods because i was convinced by my dad that the front was the problem however it hasnt helped and i am sure it is the rear that is the issue! the car had an extensive amount of money spent on it in 2006 including rear beaming bearings and group n mounts so surely these shouldnt have gone by now???

The car has just flown through its MOT i asked the MOT tester to take no prisoners when checking the suspension and he found no excessive play. I have checked all engine mounts and tyre pressures

I have to drive this car every day and its pretty scary so any informed opinion would be very much appreciated!!!!!

cheers

Bradley

HERMAN

I had the same problem with my car turned out to be odd rear arms from different models. Near side had slight toe in but the off side was towing slightly out. I have fitted a set of 306 gti6 rear arms and it has transformed the car. Might be worth getting 4 wheel alignment check done or do it your self with some string. Search the net for DIY string steering alignment.

Cheers

Neil

Tom Fenton

Just because it has rebuild history 5 years ago you cannot just assume the beam is OK. At the very least get it jacked up and firmly supported and give the wheels a good tug about to check for play. It can be hard to detect so sometimes is easier with two people with one "feeling" between the trailing arm and tube for movement whilst the other tugs the wheel about.

The MOT is not a good indicator as most MOT places I've seen have a habit of jacking a 205 under the rear dampers which would load the trailing arm such that possible play would not be detected.

From your description it certainly doesn't sound unlike the symptoms of a 205 beam problem.

Miles

Worth removing the ARB to help check for play as the less you have holding the arms in place the better, But to find it you've got to be lucky almost of have knowledge of which way to move the rear wheel to find it.

Who did the work?

randomspeedfreak

Cheers for the suggestions guys!

I had the motor up on the ramp and have found that where the upper shock upper shock mounts the subframe ihas worn and the shock rattles around before providing any damping! i dont know if this is beacuse the bolts werent done up tight enough when the shocks were fitted or the suspension is too stiff putting undue stress on the subframe. Does anyone know what part of the subframe im talking about and where i could get a replacement part?? ive tried a variety of motor factors and the pug dealer is useless!

Cheers

Bradley

Miles

You mean the old Tin (as I call them) mounting arms for the beam to the chassis, this would be S/H only know at a guess, But with stiff dampers a common issue so worth making this area stronger like the 306's did out of the box

Tom Fenton

To repair this I would just weld some thick washers in place to reclaim them to a round hole and add some strength. However to be honest I don't think this will make that much difference to your strange veering about.

randomspeedfreak

just ralised im running a 306 rear beam! the w****r that decided to fit it did not do a very good job when drilling the mounting holes and it is not on straight, this is causing the crabbing!