• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

306 S16 Hubs

skinner2k3

Whilst looking into uprating my brakes I remembered the set of 306 S16 brakes and hubs sitting in my garage.

The hubs are the hollow alloy versions.

Fitted to a 205, are these the 306 hubs that will give positive camber? Will they fit straight on?

Cheers

Ben

swordfish210

Fitted to a 205, are these the 306 hubs that will give positive camber? Will they fit straight on?

Yes and yes

skinner2k3

Ah well, not much use to me then!

Just found out I have bigger problems with the car anyway.

swordfish210

Oh, do tell...

skinner2k3

Oil soaked spark plug.

skinner2k3

What is the camber difference between 306 and 205 hubs?

calvinhorse

enough to make a 205 handle very badly, i put one on mine by accident and it was scary, the front felt like it turned with a delay after you turned the steering wheel

skinner2k3

Ah, sounds like it could be a significant amount then.

I have 309 lower arms and eccentric top mounts so could dial a bit back out if it was worth it for the weight saving with the hollow alloy hubs.

Anthony

What is the camber difference between 306 and 205 hubs?

Don't know the exact figure, but to give you some idea it's enough that it removes all the negative camber that 309 wishbones give you and a bit more.

309 wishbones plus eccentric top mounts (assuming you're running coilovers of course) would dial it out I'm sure, but still alot of faffing rather than just using 205 hubs.

Are you sure that they're alloy hubs btw? The later hollow-cast 306 hubs found on GTi-6's and the like aren't really much lighter than the solid cast ones from memory, maybe half a kilo or so tops? I remember being surprised at how little difference there was as I'd expected it to be more.

skinner2k3

Ah, really not worth the effort then. Cheers Anthony.

DRTDVL

i think it's about .5 of a degree of positive camber they will give you... I'm currently running them on my 205 with camber/caster adjustable tops and i'm running 2.5 of camber with the tops set to max -ve camber.

It's a visible difference once you fit them.

pug_ham

I can get them modified to match the original PTS 1.6 negative camber hubs which give 1.5' on standard 205 wishbones, further info here

Can collect at Pugfest if you're going / interested & then there would only be one courier charge.

g

skinner2k3

I am sticking with 205 brakes and hence hubs now. Will keep hold of them anyway if they can be salvaged and useful in future. Cheers

pug_ham

What hubs have you got now because the 1.9 GTI brakes fit straight onto the 306 hubs.

g

skinner2k3

I ended up just changing my calipers from Bendix to Girliing, retaining the 1600 discs (1600 hubs). I was considering the S16 hubs to use the S16 calipers+discs.

DRTDVL

If your running the 1.6 brakes i'll assume you have the 1.6 gti with the smaller driveshafts?

If so, grab some base model 205 hubs (xs,gt,etc..) you can then fit the 306,307, 205 gti 1.9 brakes to the car and retain the smaller driveshafts.