• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

Disc Brakes & Hubs & Abs

danny56712

Hi guys firstly I have a brilliant recently rebuilt 1.6 rear beam with b8 shocks and gti6 arb.

Now firstly im sick of drums messing about and hate look of them so I want to fit 1.9 discs. I have the stub pins :) and also have discs and 1 hub piece - my calipers are fit for the bin.

Now first option is i suspect fit 306 calipers onto my 205 carriers and splash out for new hub piece?

Secondly I am toying with idea of abs!

No not the antique 205 system which i don't believe to be ideal but what are your opinions on the following:

- Can i fit 306 abs hubs onto my 205 1.9 stub pins with 306 rear discs calipers etc. I know with 306 hubs i need 306 discs.

- Fit 306 abs ecu and wiring.

- Fit 306 driveshaft ends onto 1.9 205 driveshafts?

- Also think I will need 306 hubs?

Please go through my lisyt and advise what parts i need to do this:

306 abs front hubs

306 abs driveshaft ends

306 rear hubs

306 rear discs

306 rear calipers as mine are destroyed

306 abs ecu

306 abs loom

Please correct me if this is not possible now or anything as i have thought up of this myself here so might be just a silly idea lol

danny56712

Also a little confused here, think i will need 306 stub pins as well yes going from info i have read on a search

Anthony

In terms of calipers, 205 and 306 items are identical fit.

It's the disks that differ in offset between 205 and 306, due to the different stub axles and hubs.

Basically, you either run 205 1.9 stub axles, hubs, and disks, or you run 306 stub axles, hubs (with ABS if desired) and disks.

Retrofitting ABS from a 306/Xsara is a little more complicated, but is possible. The rear is easy as you just run the complete 306/Xsara setup, but the front is a bit more problematic. You can use a 306/Xsara outer CV on a 205 1.9 shaft which will give you the correct length shaft with the correct ABS ring, but in terms of hubs, whilst you can run 306/Xsara items (earlier 16mm fitment, not later 18mm fitment) it will give you a little positive camber. Some custom machining can get around this (search for a post by pug-ham) if needs be, or you might be able to use 205 ABS hubs but I've never tried and they're quite rare. There's a few other considerations, but they're the main ones.

danny56712

Positive camber - Ouch

I am correct in saying if i want camber i want negative yes?

Maybe adjustable top mounts?

Any idea on degrees?

danny56712

Now i am thinking if i use 205 gti abs hubs and driveshafts can i then use 306 sensors and 306 abs pump/ecu to pick up from these and 306 bits at the rear

brian j

Now i am thinking if i use 205 gti abs hubs and driveshafts can i then use 306 sensors and 306 abs pump/ecu to pick up from these and 306 bits at the rear

Sorry, no... :(

The 205 and 306 ABS hubs have vastly different numbers of teeth on the ABS ring. As far as I know, the 306 CV on a 205 shaft with a 205 ABS hub ans ABS sensor will work, but I haven't tried it yet. Someday soon I will, because I already have the 306 sensors on my rebuilt rear beam and I'm sick of fixing connections on my original 205 ABS system...