• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Red Paint On A 91 Cti

dee205

I went to look at a 1991 CTi in red. The car had been repainted and it was the darker shade of red compared with the likes of a 1990 cherry red GTi

Can someone confirm if a 91 CTi came in the darker shade of red and if it should be perlescent or laquered in look as this one didn't have the kind of sheen you would get with a laquered finish.

Thanks

Damien

Daviewonder

Theres an L reg (I think) one local to me thats a dark shade of red, its flat as well so I'd say it wasn't lacqured.

Miles

Cherry red is available in allot of shades, CTi's did tend to be very dark thou

Henry Yorke

The CTIs were assembled in Italy so I assume they used a different paint supplier to the normal French / Spanish built GTIs. Then there was a change from lead based paints in the early nineties. Finally to compound it all, CTIs were often seasonal sales so the car could actually have ben built in 1989 for example and only registered in 1991.

But as Miles says, Phase 2 CTIs should be a dark red. I thnk the dark roof also makes them look a darker shade too so it is slightly subjective.

dee205

It seems the colour could be correct then. I've had a closer look round the car and to be honest it's not the best of finishes. Overspray here and there, flaky edges and orange peel have put me off an otherwise good running car. My luck it would start to come off when I go at it with the power hose or buffer.

Some good info though on colour shades etc.

Phil H

Rouge Ecarlete or scarlet red, not cherry is the colour. The 1991 had a darker shade. Can't remember the paiontcode anymore though.