• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Where Or How Do I Polish These >

SurGie

As above really.

I'v been to my local engineering place and they said they dont/cant do that sort of stuff. I dont know where to go to get the inner diameter large enough to go onto the arm shaft. Obviously i need it done precisely, so im not keen on doing it my self tbh.

th_BOLTSieDshaftandFORKOilitebearings009.jpg

Most things never seem to go smoothly do they :rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul_13

There was a set from a group buy ages ago that were the incorrect inner diameter (too tight). I believe they were honed back to the correct inner diameter.

Think they were the ones made by GtiSi

SurGie

Yes they were the ones i got, i said to him ill get them sorted out but this has not worked out as planned.

Does anyone think some other engineering place could sort it out as i dont really want to have to post them to get them sorted out.

The larger ones are fine.

Paul_13

He still owes me an exhaust the arsehole.

hmmmmm.... someone with a lathe WILL be able to do it, but you'll have to take tiny cuts and see what works.

I'm not of the details of how he honed them, would you just use a traditional bore honing tool? be a bit of a pig though as they are quite thin (height wise)

welshpug

how much material needs to be removed?

iirc they ideally need to be done in situ as the clearances will close up if theyre a tight fit in the tube, a cylinder honing tool may do the trick if its not too much

SurGie

Yes they are and i only need a few thou taken off which is why i think polishing them would work. The thing with this is i dont know where to get the tool/polishing wheel & polish stuff to do this job ?

The very edge does go onto the shaft but only a little bit.

Edited by SurGie

Paul_13

Here?

Not clued up on whats what with these tools

SurGie

Thanks for that Paul, however they seem a bit pricey for just a little job and would never use them again tbh. I dont have that kind of money at the mo and it needs sorting out as soon as tbh.

I just thought, i could give that beam builders place near me a call tomorrow to see if they can sort them out, they sell oilite bearing to iirc.

I know what WP means by situ. He means they need to be fitted into the beam then honed, as the bearings will shrink due to the beam compressing them when fitted.

Cheers for the help :)

Edited by SurGie

Rippthrough

either a hone or an adjustable reamer - either way you need to make sure the stones/blades have a very sharp/clean edge to cut with, otherwise you'll close half the pores that feed oil through the material.