• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

Which Front Wheel Bearings?

gavbrum

Which ones should I go for?

Seen these continental ones one eBay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120671848792&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1970wt_1141

Or I could go for these original pug ones. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330495506364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2362wt_907

Anybody got any suggestions? Wanna go for ones that will last. Does it make a difference?

Cheers,

Gav

Paul_13

I'd go for Pug ones mate TBH.

I bought some from GSF and they lasted 1000 miles max before they started to rumble, I felt them with the shaft out and they were rough as!

Some part numbers off here

Toddy

Which ones should I go for?

Seen these continental ones one eBay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120671848792&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1970wt_1141

Or I could go for these original pug ones. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330495506364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2362wt_907

Anybody got any suggestions? Wanna go for ones that will last. Does it make a difference?

Cheers,

Gav

Both appear too cheap, most likely chinese copies. Stick with quality bearings like SKF (available from ECP), Timken, FAG etc

welshpug

second one is not original pug, that's a GSF Vetech kit buy the look of the nut and split pin, dunno what gave you the impression that is was o.e :lol:

something like SKF, SNR and the likes will do the job, they'll be around £30-40.

Tom Fenton

Echoing what others have said.

The really cheap one I doubt will fit the car, its listed for all models of 205, 1.1, 1.4, 1.6, diesel, and 1.9 etc etc, the 1.9 bearing is different (larger) than all the other models.

Also agree that the one you think is Gen Peugeot probably isn't, certainly not at that price anyhow, just because its from Paragon Pug who do _mainly_ gen stuff doens't mean it is, and it is _was_ I would expect to see it stated in the text.

Personally I have had one of GSF's finest (s*ite) quality bearings last me less than 1500 miles, I will no longer buy bearings or suspension components from them as in this case it certainly holds true that if you buy cheap you get cheap.

gavbrum

I was under the impression that that particular seller did only deal in Original parts. Cheers for the info Welshpug and Tom Fenton.

Cheers for the link to the Part numbers Paul.

Will give Pug dealer a call on Monday.

Cheers again guys,

Gav

gavbrum

Any links to buy the 1.9 GTI non ABS ones online?

Looked but can't find any UK sellers.

Cheers,

Gav

gavbrum

Cheers Toddy

Anyone know where I can get them cheaper?

£42.60 is a bit steep per bearing.

Cheers,

Gav

welshpug

not really IMO! given they'll last a few hundred k, and the cheap ones often dont last a k...

Cameron

Yep! When it comes to components like this that are a pain in the arse to change, £40 really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things! When you consider that you could be changing a cheapo bearing 3-4 times in the life of a quality SKF one it's a no-brainer.

TheLarneMan

That link is for a 1.9 with ABS.

I need a new front bearing as well but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. The car was a GTI 1.6 with no ABS, but it now has front hubs from a GTI 1.9 (no idea if the donor car had ABS car or not).

Did all GTI 1.9's come with ABS?

Edited by TheLarneMan

welshpug

abs cars used 1.9 hub flanges and bearings whether they were 1.6 or 1.9, hub carrier itself was different to accept and abs sensor.

pretty rare still.

oli-pug

Partco (unipart) are very reasonably priced for wheel bearings if you have one nearby. I got a pair of SNR bearings for mine a while back for £35 or so.

Paul_13

Partco (unipart) are very reasonably priced for wheel bearings if you have one nearby. I got a pair of SNR bearings for mine a while back for £35 or so.

Did they last well?

Miles

Luck of the draw, I have had unipart parts with SKF and Valeo items in

welshpug

Noticed that Pug boxed bearings were SNR last night, a lad on the diesel 306 forums fitted some recently :)

gavbrum

Been quoted £40 each for either SKF or FAG from Peugeot Eccose.

Best price I can find.

Anyone have a preference for either?

Apparently both are supplied by Puegeot.

Cheers,

Gav

welshpug

i'd just go to whoever supplies peugeot ecosse :lol:

gavbrum

Maybe I'll give them a call and ask. I'll just tell them that I want to cut out the middle man. Haha...

But seriously

I'm thinking I'll go for SKF. FAG sounds a bit gay.

Unless anyone else has a reasonable argument not to.

Cheers again.

welshpug

most likely they'll just be using a local motorfactor same as any other garage.

FAG are another large bearing manufacturer thats been around for decades, they're part of the INA group, INA do most of the timing belt tensioners you'll find in o.e kits, as well as SKF these days.

Edited by welshpug

gavbrum

Phoned around all my local motor factors and none beat Eccose Peugeot at £85 for both sides and postage. Most of them dont do FAG or SKF bearings either.

Cheers